Red Bull Ring, Austria

10 – 12 June 2022

The hills were alive with the sound of Masters engines!

A thrilling variety of historic exhaust notes echoed back from the Alpine mountains surrounding the Red Bull Ring, as Masters Historic Racing travelled to Spielberg for the inaugural Austrian Historic event. Four Masters grids contributed to the programme, with Michael Lyons and Steve Hartley sharing the Formula One spoils and Lee Mowle and Phil Keen cornering the Gent Drivers win. Steve Tandy, Marco Werner, Rick Carlino/Aaron Scott and Timo Scheibner were all double winners in Masters Endurance Legends while Marc Devis claimed victory the Masters Sports Car Legends race.


Masters Endurance Legends – Race 1
Tandy wins first Masters Endurance Legends race at Red Bull Ring

Steve Tandy took a comfortable win in the first of two Masters Endurance Legends races at the Red Bull Ring after his Peugeot 90X was embroiled in an entertaining lead fight with Keith Frieser’s Zytek 09S for the first half of the race, the Briton and the Canadian switching places several times. However, when Frieser dropped the ball on his in-lap preceding his mandatory stop, Tandy was left alone out in front to win by 56 seconds.

Marco Werner in the P2-class-winning Lola-Lotus B12/80 inherited second after Frieser’s spin, but the Canadian in the Zytek fought back valiantly to reclaim his spot two laps from the end. Another stellar recovery drive was produced by Christophe d’Ansembourg, who dropped to dead last on lap 2 but charged all the way up to snatch a fighting fourth place.

Rick Carlino and Aaron Scott prevailed in the P3 class, their ORECA LMPC10 finishing fifth overall to beat the Ligier JSP3-15s of Stephan Joebstl/Andy Willis and Ron Maydon. Putting himself in between the P3 class runners, Timo Scheibner bagged a dominant GT class win by taking sixth overall in his Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3. In ninth and tenth overall respectively, Jason Wright (Ferrari 458 GT3) and Bob Blain (Aston Martin DBR9 GT1) netted the two remaining steps on the GT podium.

The sun was out in full force for the first of two Masters Endurance Legends races on the day, as Steve Tandy led away from Frieser, d’Ansembourg, Werner, and Scheibner in the leading GT car, as poleman Michel Frey’s Lola B07/18 dramatically was forced to pull off on the green-flag lap. Sadly, the Steve Brooks/Martin O’Connell Lola B12/60 and Matteo Marateotto’s Lola B06/10 were withdrawals before the start of the race.

Within three laps, Tandy’s Peugeot 90X was up three seconds on Frieser in the Zytek 09S, but d’Ansembourg had disappeared from third place, the Lola-Aston Martin DBR1/2 dropping down to last place. This moved Werner up to third, followed by Schneibner’s incredibly quick Vantage V12, while Rick Carlino led Ron Maydon and Stephan Joebstl in the P3 race, the ORECA LMPC10 and the two Ligier JSP3-15s running fifth, sixth and seventh, ahead of Jason Wright’s Ferrari 458 GT3, Alexander Lienau’s Vantage V12 and Gianluca Candiani in the Lucchini SR2. Nick Padmore in Scooter Gabel’s BMW M3 GTR soon saw d’Ansembourg fly back past while Mike Furness continued his troublesome weekend with a long pitstop that saw him emerge dead last, two laps down on the leader. The Courage was soon back in the pits, though.

On lap 6, however, the lead changed hands to Frieser, as Tandy had dropped the ball and was now trailing the Canadian by eight seconds. The two had left Werner behind by eight seconds, while Scheibner circulated in fourth, 44 seconds behind his countryman in the Lola-Lotus LMP2 car.

On the brink of the pit window, Frieser led by four seconds but was now matching Tandy’s lap times, with Werner a further 12 seconds behind the Peugeot, the German being the first to pit, followed in by Carlino (with Aaron Scott waiting for him), Joebstl (who would hand over to Andy Willis) and Bob Blain in the Aston Martin DBR9 GT1 car. All this helped the recovering d’Ansembourg up to fifth place but the Belgian was in on the next lap, while the rest continued for one more time – or two times.

The three leading GT cars of Scheibner, Wright and Lienau all came in on lap 14, joined by Candiani, while the two cars in front – still out there – switched places going into lap 15, Tandy now back into the lead. The end of the pit window approaching, Frieser bailed out on lap 15, followed by Tandy on lap 16 – which was the final opportunity to do so. Meanwhile, Maydon had done his stop on lap 15 with Nick Padmore handing over to Scooter Gabel on the next lap.

After the pitstops had panned out, Tandy remained in the lead but a spin by Frieser on his in-lap had helped Werner up into second place – and with that spin, the lead fight had gone up into thin air. Tandy now led Werner by a comfortable 50 seconds, with Frieser down to third, 16 seconds behind the German. D’Ansembourg had continued his fightback and was up into fourth, at the cost of Scheibner, who still led the GT class with ease. Scott was sixth and at the top of the P3 class battle, 17 seconds away from Maydon, and 27 from Willis. Wright was ninth and second in GTs, with Candiani rounding out the top ten. Further back, Blain had passed Lienau for third place in the GT class.

As the clock ticked away towards the end, Tandy silently swooshed to a win by a minute, but it wasn’t over Werner’s P2-class-winning Lola-Lotus B12/80, as Frieser did enough to pip the German on the penultimate lap and reclaim second. D’Ansembourg finished a distant fourth, while Aaron Scott in the ORECA LMPC10 moved ahead of GT winner Timo Scheibner’s Vantage V12 to take fifth overall and the P3 class win for himself and Rick Carlino. Behind Scheibner, and a lap down, the Ligier JSP3-15s of Joebstl/Willis and Maydon took second and third in P3, with Jason Wright’s 458 GT3 coming home second in the GT class, with Bob Blain’s DBR9 completing the top ten and taking third in the GTs.

Masters Endurance Legends – Race 2
Tandy doubles up in second Masters Endurance Legends race at the Austrian Historic

After producing a faultless drive in his Peugeot 90X, Steve Tandy made it two from two at the Red Bull Ring by storming to his second Masters Endurance Legends win of the day. In the opening half of the race, the winner was kept honest by Keith Frieser never losing sight of the Peugeot, but after the stops, the Canadian in the Zytek 09S had to let Tandy slip away to a 25-second lead at the finish.

Marco Werner had a lonely race on his way to a lapped third overall, while again taking P2 class honours in his Lola-Lotus B12/80. With another comeback drive, Christophe d’Ansembourg salvaged fourth in his Lola-Aston Martin DBR1/2 but losing pace towards the end meant that the Belgian had to put his hopes for a podium aside.

More double winners were celebrated in the P3 and GT classes, as Rick Carlino and Aaron Scott doubled up in P3 in their ORECA LMPC10 while Timo Scheibner bagged another GT class win in his Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3. Carlino/Scott and Scheibner took fifth and sixth overall ahead of Stephan Joebstl/Andy Willis (taking second in P3 in their Ligier JSP3-15) and Jason Wright (taking second in the GT class in his Ferrari 458 GT3). Alexander Lienau in another Vantage V12 was ninth overall and third in GTs while Ron Maydon and his one-off teammate Mike Furness rounded out the top ten in another Ligier JSP3-15 to take third in P3.

In the final Masters race of the Austrian Historic weekend, Tandy stormed away from pole to lead Frieser by 1.4 seconds after the opening lap, with Werner in third, some five seconds down, while Carlino moved up a place on Scheibner. Joebstl passed Wright for sixth, while d’Ansembourg had another recovery drive to do from the back. After their first-race mishaps, Gianluca Candiani, Scooter Gabel and Michel Frey were non-starters in their Lucchini SR2, BMW M3 GTR and Lola B07/18 respectively, while Bob Blain’s Aston Martin DBR9 also failed to appear.

After four laps, Frieser’s Zytek 09S wasn’t letting Tandy’s Peugeot 90X out of sight, the Canadian was still only two seconds down on the French diesel machine. Werner trailed the leader by 11 seconds, with Carlino’s ORECA LMPC10 fighting Scheibner’s GT-class-leading Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3 for fourth overall. D’Ansembourg had charged back up to sixth, having passed Wright’s Ferrari 458 GT3 and Joebstl’s Ligier JSP3-15, the latter hounded by Alexander Lienau in another Vantage V12. Ron Maydon had joined forces with Mike Furness, as Furness had given up on his own Courage LC75 to still get some mileage under his belt after a disappointing weekend. The last-minute change did mean that Maydon had to start from the pitlane.

On lap 8, Tandy led Frieser by 2.5 seconds, the Canadian hanging on with everything in his power, with Werner now 16 seconds down in the leading P2 machine. D’Ansembourg was up into fourth but looked at a 32-second gap to the Lola-Lotus B12/80 in front, while Scheibner had moved back ahead of Carlino for fifth.

The pit window was coming up within two more laps, but the entire field declined on their first opportunity. On lap 11, though, Werner was the first to come in, followed by Joebstl, who would hand over to Andy Willis. Meanwhile, Tandy put the hammer down with the fastest lap of the race to inch back out to a lead of 2.1 seconds, Frieser having cut it to 1.4 seconds over the last few laps. Next up in the pits, was Maydon making way for Mike Furness, who was looking ahead to his first miles in a Ligier JSP3-15.

On lap 14, the two leaders and GT class leader Scheibner still stayed out there but d’Ansembourg, Carlino (handing over to Aaron Scott), Wright and Lienau were in. It was Scheibner’s turn on the next lap, but the Peugeot and the Zytek waited until lap 16 for their stops. Meanwhile, d’Ansembourg’s searing pace had put him to within 12 seconds from Werner in third.

After the stops had panned out, Tandy had put more distance between himself and Frieser’s Zytek as the gap was now up to nine seconds. Werner in third trailed by 53 seconds and saw d’Ansembourg closer at the rate of one second per lap. The gap was now down to ten seconds. Scheibner maintained his GT class lead, 21 seconds ahead of Wright, while Andy Willis had moved ahead of Aaron Scott for the P3 class lead. Lienau and Furness made up the rest of the top-ten.

With ten minutes remaining, it was obvious that Tandy was able to stick to his first-stint pace while Frieser was dropping tenths here and there to see the Peugeot disappear from sight. On lap 20, as Tandy further improved on his fastest lap of the race with a 1.24.6, the gap had increased to 15 seconds. Werner, meanwhile, had picked up the pace to match d’Ansembourg’s lap times before increasing his lead over the Belgian to 12 seconds. Behind Scheibner, though, Scott was back up into sixth, reclaiming the P3 class lead from Willis who now came under threat from Wright. On lap 21, the Italian-American was passed into seventh but on lap 22, Willis took the place back. This would probably go on until they reached the finish line.

Five more minutes were left on the clock, and Tandy continued to add space with regards to his pursuers, the Peugeot now leading by 20 seconds. Further back, Scott got the ORECA up into fifth, passing Scheibner on lap 24. From here to the finish after 27 laps, Tandy had an easy run to the flag, heading home Frieser by 25 seconds, with Werner and d’Ansembourg coming home a lapped third and fourth. In an ailing Lola-Aston Martin DBR1/2, the Belgian had dropped 20 more seconds on Werner but had enough in hand on P3 class winners Rick Carlino and Aaron Scott. Timo Scheibner doubled up on his GT class win by taking sixth overall ahead of the Joebstl/Willis Ligier JSP3-15. Wright and Lienau completed the GT podium in eighth and ninth while Ron Maydon and Mike Furness took third in P3.

Masters Gentlemens Drivers
Mowle & Keen triumph in attritional Masters Gentlemen Drivers race at Red Bull Ring

Lee Mowle and Phil Keen proved triumphant in the 90-minute Masters Gentlemen Drivers race at the Austrian Historic event, as their Jaguar E-type inherited the lead from a Julian Thomas/Calum Lockie Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupé hit by gear selection trouble.

The first half hour, Thomas had led in imperious fashion until his car began to falter, a two-lap pitstop dropping him right down the order. A massive recovery drive followed, as Lockie with a sequence of fastest laps managed to haul the Daytona Cobra back up into second place behind dominant winners Mowle and Keen, albeit a lap down on the victorious E-type.

As their quicker rivals stumbled, Johan Rosenthal and Nils-Fredrik Nyblaeus (Austin Healey 3000) and Wolfgang & Christian Molitor (Lotus Elan 26R) bagged the C2 and CLP class wins respectively while claiming third and fourth overall. In a race of attrition, the CLP class’ pole-sitting Ginetta G4R of Robin Ward/Ron Maydon was out before the start while before the halfway point the other Ginetta shared by Sharon Adelman and George McDonald retired from the class lead. A similar fate befell the C2-class Ferrari 250 Lusso of Nick Padmore and Marco Werner, brake issues denying Werner a run in the car.

Rounding off the first day of the Austrian Historic, the Masters Gentlemen Drivers field got going with a 4.15pm start – apart from the fact that it didn’t, as Robin Ward in Ron Maydon’s Ginetta G4R refused service with a failed diff and had to be salvaged from the main straight while the remaining cars circulated behind the safety car.

The green flag flying on lap 3, Thomas stormed off to leave Mowle behind, with McDonald assuming the CLP class lead in third, his main rival already gone. Padmore headed the C2 class from Rosendahl, the two keeping ahead of Wolfgang Molitor in the Lotus Elan 26R.

Putting the hammer down with a 1.50 lap, followed by a 1.49, Thomas opened up a massive 18-second lead over Mowle’s E-type. Five seconds behind, Sharon Adelman was keeping Mowle honest, but she had Padmore’s Ferrari 250 Lusso all over the back of her Ginetta, as the pair dropped Rosendahl by eight seconds. Molitor was just four seconds behind.

On lap 7, Padmore while trying to open up a gap big enough to compensate for his and Marco Werner’s elite-driver penalty got passed Adelman to move up into a shock third in his C2-class Ferrari – but then he was into the pits on the next lap! Bonnet open, it looked like the Ferrari’s race was over, its brakes also having gone.

20 minutes into the race, Thomas was 50 seconds up the road from Mowle, with Adelman now back up in third, 1 minute and 20 seconds down, and leading Rosendahl by nine seconds and Molitor by 13.

Half an hour gone, the status quo remained, as on lap 13 Thomas led Mowle by 1 minute and 21 seconds, but on the next time around the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupé was into the pits with gear selection issues… While the team were trying to cure those, Mowle moved into the lead on lap 15, with Adelman in second, 1 minute and 11 seconds down but hounded by Rosendahl in the Austin Healey 3000. As the Daytona Cobra remained in the pits, Molitor now went up into fourth, a lap down, as Mowle completed lap 16, with less than 55 minutes to go.

Now it was the other Ginetta G4R’s turn to falter, as Adelman dropped two places to fall behind Rosendahl and Molitor, and soon enough she was forced to pull off at turn 2, denying George McDonald a run in the car. This handed Mowle a lead of nearly one and a half minute. Thomas, however, was back on track, two laps down. How much time would he and Calum Lockie be able to claw back? The pit window was now open, and Thomas duly lowered the fastest lap of the race to a low 1.48 – but the gap between himself and Molitor in third was a massive three minutes and 17 seconds.

On lap 21, Mowle was in to hand over to the rapid Phil Keen. Rosendahl and Molitor followed in on the next lap, the Swede swapping places with countryman Nils-Fredrik Nyblaeus while Wolfgang handed over to Christian Molitor. Calum Lockie then took over from Thomas.

As the pit window closed, Keen led Nyblaeus by a minute and 12 seconds, with the other Molitor 23 seconds further back. Thomas and then Lockie had diminished their disadvantage to the German Elan to 2 minutes and 37 seconds but they still had a long way to go to possibly reclaim a podium spot.

With half an hour remaining on the clock, Keen’s pace was such that his lead over Nyblaeus had increased to 1 minute and 50 seconds – so close to a full lap. Molitor now trailed the Big Healey by 51 seconds, dropping time by quite an amount, all helping an unleashed Calum Lockie who now had the gap down to 1.10. Third place was still on the cards, as the Daytona Cobra was lapping up 15 seconds faster than the Elan…

After 30 laps into the race, Keen had now lapped all other cars in the race and was relatively cruising compared to his initial laptimes, while Lockie was edging ever closer to Molitor in the Elan, the gap decimated to a mere 18 seconds. Two more laps, and indeed Lockie was up into third. And with Nyblaeus 22 seconds away, second place seemed viable too. The Scot converted the opportunity with 15 minutes still on the clock, celebrating it with another fastest lap of the race – the three minutes lost to Keen’s Jag would be impossible to recover, however.

As the clock wound down to zero, Keen reeled off his laps at a comfortable pace to win for himself and Lee Mowle while allowing Lockie to close at a rate of five seconds a lap. The gap eventually came down to 2 minutes and 35 seconds, but the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupé was still a lap behind. Two and three laps down respectively, Nyblaeus and Molitor were safe in third and fourth, both winning their respective C2 and CLP classes in what proved to be a race of attrition.

Masters Racing Legends for 66/85 F1 Cars – Race 1
Michael Lyons prevailed in an epic race-long battle with Steve Hartley to win the first Masters Racing Legends race for 3-litre Formula One cars at the Austrian Historic.

Hartley’s McLaren MP4/1 led away from pole but Lyons pounced on lap 6 – although after that, it was far from over, as Hartley continued to harry the post-82 class-winning Lotus 92 all the way to the chequered flag on lap 18.

Nick Padmore in the revolutionary double-chassis Lotus 88B long held a watching brief in third before retiring to the pits three laps from the end. This elevated Marco Werner onto the final podium spot, the German in his Lotus 87B slowly having lost touch with the leading trio.

Steve Brooks was a distant fourth in his Essex-liveried Lotus 81 after having been briefly led by Jonathan Holtzman in the Tyrrell P34. The American’s six-wheeler remained the last unlapped car to cross the line in fifth while taking pre-78 class honours. His task was made easier by Philippe Bonny retiring his Trojan T103 from ninth on lap 12. Holtzman headed home Georg Hallau’s Theodore N183 (second in the post-82 class), Marc Devis in his new Lotus 78 and local hero Arthur Brucker in the Arrows A6 run it’s unique Golia livery as raced by Marc Surer in the 1983 Italian GP.

On a cloudy but warm day in the Austrian Alps, the field was sent on its way with Hartley leading from pole, followed by Lyons, Padmore and Werner, as Cosworth DFV engines in seventies and eighties Formula One echoed back from the surrounding Styrian hilltops for the first time since ages. At turn 3, Lyons had a look at Hartley for the lead but the series veteran resisted to complete the opening lap in first place. Further back, Holtzman’s Tyrrell P34 had nicked fifth from Steve Brooks in the Lotus 81.

Young Lyons wasn’t intent on letting the McLaren go, though, cutting Hartley’s lead to half a second on lap 2, with Padmore in the twin-chassis 88B on 1.8 seconds, and Werner on 4.1 ticks. Behind Brooks, the order remained the same: Hallau in the Theodore N183 in seventh from Devis in his new Lotus 78, Philippe Bonny in the Trojan T103 and Arthur Bruckner in the Arrows A6.

It was stalemate among the first four on lap 3, but Brooks had repassed Holtzman for fifth, albeit now finding himself 17 seconds behind the leading group. With Hartley clocking fastest lap of the race on lap 4, one-tenth quicker than Lyons, the gap was now back up to seven-tenths

Next time around, though, Lyons cut back Hartley’s lead to just two tenths, as the tyres were now past their prime. The pair had dropped Padmore by two seconds and Werner by 3.2 seconds, with Brooks now having stretched the gap to the class-leading pre-78 car of Jonathan Holtzman to five seconds, himself trailing the leader by 21 seconds. Further back, Bruckner passed Bonny for ninth.

Lyons indeed pounced going into lap 6, the overtake allowing Padmore to close up to 1.6 seconds. Despite the setback, Hartley wasn’t giving up, the McLaren continuing to snap at the Lotus 92’s gearbox while producing another fastest lap of the race, as the fuel loads began to lessen.

Halfway into the race, the nail-biting fight at the front continued unabated, still just a few tenths separating Hartley from Lyons in the lead. Such was their pace now that Padmore had lost touch and was 3.6 seconds down on the leader, while Werner had lost sight of the lead trio, now ten ticks in arrears. Brooks was a lonely fifth, ahead of Holtzman, Hallau and Devis, while Bonny had retaken Bruckner.

Now, on lap 10, Lyons made the fastest lap of the race his own for the first time since the start, opening up a slender lead of just over a second. Next time, it was 1.3 seconds, but on lap 12, it was back down to a second. With seven minutes remaining, this thing was far from over. It was for Philippe Bonny, though, the Frenchman retiring from ninth overall and second in the pre-78 class, as his Trojan T103 succumbed to a failed right-rear wheel bearing. Slightly further in front, Hallau was now pressuring Holtzman for sixth overall, both the German and American now lapped by the charging leaders.

On lap 15, Hartley had chiselled off seven-tenths to trail by three-tenths, as this gripping duel continued towards the chequered flag, but we had a new man in third place: Nick Padmore had retired his Lotus 88B to the pits, handing the place to Marco Werner, now 19 seconds down on the leading pair. In the pits, it was found that something was knocking on the 88B’s rear wheel.

At the front, it remained nip-and-tuck until they crossed the line for the final time, Lyons keeping it together for a narrow win after 18 hard-fought laps. Werner took third, 21 seconds down, with Brooks next up, a minute behind the winner. Remaining unlapped, Holtzman won the pre-78 class by taking fifth overall ahead of Hallau (second in the post-82 class behind Lyons), Devis and Bruckner.

Masters Racing Legends for 66/85 F1 Cars – Race 2
Hartley comes through to win second Masters Racing Legends race at Red Bull Ring

Steve Hartley kept his record of winning one race every Masters Racing Legends weekend by coming through from second on the grid to win the Austrian Historic’s second race for 1966-‘85 Formula One cars. Having chased Michael Lyons’ pole-sitting Lotus 92 for five laps, Hartley swept into the lead going into lap and quickly built a five-second lead that the McLaren MP4/1 driver would never relinquish.

Lyons’ teammates Marco Werner (Lotus 87B) and Nick Padmore (Lotus 88B) each took turns in third place, Padmore impressively storming through from the back, but both were forced to retire. This lifted Steve Brooks into third place, his Lotus 81 coming home 51 seconds adrift of the winner.

Jonathan Holtzman held fourth until the penultimate lap, but while the American still took pre-78 class honours in his Tyrrell P34, the six-wheeler was caught and passed on the final lap by Marc Devis in the Lotus 78.

A bright and sunny Styrian afternoon saw the Masters Racing Legends come out for their second race of the weekend, with first-race winner Michael Lyons leading away from pole in his Lotus 92, joined from the first row by Steve Hartley’s McLaren MP4/1. After the opening lap, Lyons held a lead of three tenths over Hartley, as their battle of the day before resumed, with Werner in the Lotus 87B 2.2 seconds behind, followed by Brooks in the 81, Holtzman in the pre-78 class-leading Tyrrell P34, and Nick Padmore, storming up from the back in his double-chassis Lotus 88B.

Lyons added another tenth on the next lap but Hartley was holding on with all his might, while Padmore moved up into fifth at the cost of Holtzman. Behind them, Georg Hallau was seventh in the Theodore N183, heading Marc Devis in the Lotus 78, Arthur Bruckner in the Arrows A6 and Philippe Bonny in the Trojan T103.

It was no change at the front on lap 3, but Padmore continued his rise up the order by also usurping Brooks to be fourth, still only seven seconds behind the leader and just four behind Werner in third. A storming lap of the Red Bull Ring from Hartley then brought him to within two-tenths of Lyons on the next tour.

Getting his head fully down now, Hartley was all over the back of Lyons’ Lotus, and with the fastest laps of the race, ‘The Jam Baron’ romped into the lead at the start of lap 6. Werner held steady at three seconds but his teammate Nick Padmore was the second fastest man on track and now trailed the German by less than two seconds. Meanwhile, on the edge of the top ten, Bonny found a way past Bruckner to move up into ninth, which soon became eighth when Hallau retired his Theodore at turn 2.

Once in the lead, Hartley put the hammer down to further improve on his best and immediately opened up a visible gap to Lyons who was now losing ground to fellow Chrome Cars drivers Werner and Padmore, as the three Lotuses ran nose-to-nail with Hartley almost four seconds up the road on lap 7.

Again, Hartley beat his own fastest lap to run away from the Lotus train at the tune of close of two seconds, as Padmore switched places with Werner, who looked like he was in trouble. Indeed, the German was in on the next lap, retiring with a failed brake calliper. Almost simultaneously, Bonny from his newly inherited seventh place was in with an engine issue, but after a check ventured out again, although he had of course handed the place to local hero Bruckner in his ex-Marc Surer A6.

With ten minutes remaining, Hartley in the Anthony Seddon-prepped McLaren MP4/1 looked very much in control, leading Lyons by 5.6 seconds, with Padmore another 1.9 seconds adrift. Just like on Saturday, Steve Brooks was having a lonely race, trailing Padmore by 19 seconds while heading Holtzman by a similar margin.

Five minutes later, the situation was still the same, Hartley leading Lyons by exactly the same 5.6 seconds, but on lap 13 Padmore was in trouble, as the 88B pulled off at the final corner, handing third place to Brooks. Meanwhile, Bonny was back into the pits to retire his Trojan for good.

That was the last bit of drama, though, as Hartley had Lyons covered and reeled off the laps to take his fourth win of the season – one each on every Masters Racing Legends weekend so far. Lyons took second, 5.8 seconds behind, with Brooks in third, 51 seconds down on the winner. Behind them, the battle was on for fourth overall, as Devis had caught Holtzman, and indeed the Belgian pipped the American on the final lap, even though that didn’t hurt Holtzman’s pre-78 class victory.

Masters Sports Car Legends
Devis claims the spoils in Masters Sports Car Legends race at Red Bull Ring

Marc Devis survived a late charge from the giant-slaying Julian Thomas & Calum Lockie Chevron B8 to win the Red Bull Ring’s one-hour Masters Sports Car Legends race in his Chevron B19.

Devis was handed the lead when shortly after the stops, the early front-running Lola T210 of Graham Adelman and Andy Willis was forced to retire with a broken gearbox. The Belgian had been kept honest by Julian Thomas during their first stints, and towards the end, Lockie found a way past the Belgian’s open-top Chevron. Devis was having none of that, though, and nicked back the spot two laps later to win by two seconds.

Andy Willis, two-timing in Stephan Joebstl’s Lola T212, still found the podium by finishing a distant third ahead of Alberto Zoli’s Chevron B16 and the Thomas Matzelberger/Ingo Strolz Lola T210. Mark Shaw’s pole-sitting McLaren M1A was out with a broken engine after four laps.

On a bright and sunny day in the Alps, the Masters Sports Car Legends thundered away with Shaw in the big Mac leading a fast-starting Julian Thomas in the tiny Chevron B8, followed by Marc Devis in the B19 also moving up at the cost of Andy Willis in Graham Adelman’s Lola T210 and Stephan Joebstl in the T212 that Willis would take over later in the race. The top five were followed by Alberto Zoli in the Chevron B16 and local hero Thomas Matzelberger in the T210 shared with Ingo Strolz.

On lap 2, Devis proved on a charge, taking second place, now four seconds adrift of Mark Shaw, with Willis also sneaking through to pinch third from Thomas. Then, his tyres now fully heated up, Willis nipped past the Belgian on lap 3 in the hope of catching the leader, but for the moment Shaw was lapping in the 1.40s while Willis’ best was a 1.41.

Soon these numbers would prove academic, though, as Shaw came trundling into the pits at the start of lap 5, his engine having expired terminally, leaving Willis to take over. Behind him, Devis and Thomas were having quite the tussle, and on lap 5, the B8 had retaken second from the B19, both now three seconds adrift from the leading T210. The Belgian was having none of that, though, and got the place back on the next lap.

Fifteen minutes in, the leaders finally started to settle in, Willis heading Devis by seven seconds, the Belgian still harried by Thomas, while Joebstl was stuck in fourth, half a minute adrift of the leading trio. Zoli was ten seconds behind the Austrian, whose countryman Matzelberger followed 21 seconds further down the road.

On lap 10, the spectators’ focus of attention was still on the battle for second, with Thomas not giving up and continuing to be the bigger Chevron’s thorn in its side, the gap now down to a mere tenth, as Willis slowly left the two behind, having opened up an advantage of nine seconds.

The pit window having opened after 25 minutes, Willis led Devis by 11 seconds, with Thomas having drifted away to a 1.2-second deficit to the Belgian. The leader was the first into the pits, though, as he had to be ready to take over from Joebstl later on into pit window. Next to come in were Devis and Matzelberger, the latter handing the Austrian T210 over to Strolz, and indeed Joebstl, as Willis climbed on board of his second mount of the morning. In the second part of the ten-minute pit window, Thomas (switching places with Calum Lockie) and Zoli were the last of the leaders to do their mandatory stop.

It looked all happy and clean, but then on lap 19, Adelman was back in for a second stop for the car that had been in the lead for the best part of the first stint, the Lola T210 having lost fourth gear. On lap 20, the American was back in yet again, and all seemed lost.

This elevated Devis into the lead, followed six seconds later by Lockie, while Willis in the T212 started by Joebstl was third, but a massive 1 minute and 22 seconds behind. Willis was the fastest man in the top three but only by two to three seconds a lap. Zoli was a lapped fourth, with Strolz 23 seconds further adrift.

With fifteen more minutes to go, Devis looked in control, having increased his lead over Lockie to ten seconds, while Willis was unable to make any significant inroads to the top two. It wasn’t all over, though, as Devis on lap 26 began losing ground, suddenly lapping five seconds slower than his regular pace. Within two laps, Lockie was up with the Chevron B19, as Willis came within a minute of the leader.

And indeed, Lockie was up into the lead on lap 28, as nine minutes remained on the clock. Devis’ lap times were slightly improving again, though, the two now both lapping in the 1.44s and getting down to the 1.42s on lap 30, as the Belgian followed the B8 around by half a second. And, surprise, surprise, Devis popped up in the lead on lap 31, as now it was Lockie’s turn to drop the pace dramatically.

So it was Devis who brought the win home, with two seconds in hand on Lockie, as Willis took third 42 seconds down. Zoli and Strolz were a lapped fourth and fifth.