15 – 17 July 2022

Three Days of Great Racing at the Beach!

Perfect weather, grandstands filled to capacity, and a funky paddock vibe all contributed to a great weekend of racing in the Dutch dunes, as Masters’ return to the Historic Grand Prix in the seaside town of Zandvoort proved to be a resounding success. Marco Werner and Steve Tandy doubled up in Masters Racing Legends and Masters Endurance Legends respectively, while David & Olivier Hart triumphed in Masters Sports Car Legends. Julian Thomas & Calum Lockie dominated in Masters Gentlemen Drivers, with Sam Tordoff taking the spoils in Masters Pre-66 Touring Cars.


Masters Endurance Legends – Race 1
Tandy powers Peugeot to win in first Masters Endurance Legends race at Zandvoort.

Steve Tandy drove to a commanding victory in the first Masters Endurance Legends race at Zandvoort’s Historic Grand Prix, as he powered his Peugeot 90X from pole to the chequered flag in a race that finished behind the safety car. During his opening stint, young Spaniard Pepe Martí was second in his P3-class-winning Norma M30 before Keith Frieser’s Zytek 09S pipped him at the stops. After the race, however, Frieser was amongst those penalised for overtaking under the safety car. As a result, the Canadian dropped down to sixth place while handing Martí back second place.

“It was very straightforward”, said Tandy. “I had a good clean start, got a good gap to everyone, and after that, I was just pacing myself.”

In third overall, Marco Werner overcame an early incident with Martí to recover to the P2 class win in his Lola-Lotus B12/80, as the German was followed home by the class-rivalling David Brise/Alan Purbrick Lola B09/80. Andy Willis and Stephan Joebstl took second in the P3 class while finishing fifth overall. Third in the P3 class, Craig Davies and Ron Maydon ended up seventh in another Ligier JSP3.

“At the start, I had an unfortunate contact with Marco”, said Martí, “but after that, I had a good race, and tried to make as few mistakes as possible. But in a P3 car it’s hard to keep up with the Peugeot!”

Taking eighth overall in their Ferrari 458 GT3, Michael Lyons and Christopher Stahl led all the way in GTs, while Scooter Gabel in the BMW M3 GTR took second in class after Jason Wright in another Ferrari 458 GT3 was hit by a stop-and-go penalty.

“It was really great to be back in the 458 here”, said Lyons. “Last time I raced one of these was in 2011! It was great to race with Chris, and it was fun battling with the prototypes – I had the best seat in the house!”

“The BMW is such fun, I love that car!”, said Scooter Gabel about bringing the 1997 car over to Europe for several events, “and for its age it’s quick, but not enough to be competitive here. It was great to come to these tracks – especially here, this is a really wild track! Sadly, this is the last European event that I’m doing, but I’m thinking of leaving it here and doing some more races next year.”

A bright and sunny Saturday morning in the dunes greeted the Le Mans prototypes and GTs on the Masters Endurance Legends grid headed by Steve Tandy’s polesitting Peugeot 90X. Tandy duly led away, while Joshua Kreuger started the GT1 Viper GTS-R – much plagued during both qualifying sessions – from the pitlane. On the opening lap, Tandy was initially chased by Pepe Martí, but soon opened up 1.5 second gap, with Frieser in third, five seconds down. David Brise was a fast-starting fourth in the Lola B09/80, followed by Andy Willis who was equally quick out of the blocks in the first of the Ligier JSP3s. In seventh, Michael Lyons led the GTs in the Ferrari 458 GT3. Marco Werner, however, had dropped outside the top-ten after contact with Martí.

On lap 2, a superquick lap by Tandy got him out to a six-second lead over Martí in the Norma M30, with Frieser and Brise holding station while Stuart Wiltshire in the P2 Ligier was back up to fifth ahead of Lyons and Willis. Meanwhile, Marco Werner was climbing up the order and was now eighth in the Lola-Lotus B12/80, ahead of Craig Davies in the Ligier JSP3 shared with Ron Maydon, with Jason Wright rounding out the top-ten ahead of Neil Glover in the third P3 Ligier and Scooter Gabel’s 1997 IMSA BMW M3 – the oldest car in the field by far. Wright, however, was looking at a stop-and-go penalty for overtaking Rick Carlino’s ORECA LMPC10 under yellow.

Four laps into the race, Martí began to close on Tandy again, while 12 seconds down on the leader Frieser and Brise fought over third place. Wiltshire was a further four seconds adrift and held a similar gap over Lyons, with Werner into seventh and setting the same lap times as the two leaders.

By lap 7, Tandy’s lead was up six seconds as the backmarkers came into play, while Frieser in the P1 Zytek 09S and Brise in the P2 Lola B09/80 continued to war over third overall, with Werner having recovered to fifth and closing in on the pair of them. The pit window was approaching now, and while Wright took his penalty to drop down to 15th overall, Tandy continued to lead Martí by four seconds, now nine laps into the race.

On lap 10, Werner was the first one to in for his mandatory stop while a slower lap from Tandy allowed Martí to close to within 1.5 seconds. Behind them, Frieser had broken away from Brise by three seconds, and were up into second and third as Martí pitted on the lap after. Meanwhile in sixth, Michael Lyons had inched up to Wiltshire to snatch fifth from the Ligier JSP2 just before handing over to Christopher Stahl.

Tandy, Frieser and Brise all kept going into lap 12, as Neil Glover came in to hand the Ligier JSP3 over to Jason Green. Further back, Scooter Gabel was now second in GTs, ahead of Wright and the recovering Kreuger, who was three laps down. Brise was in on the next lap to swap places with Alan Purbrick, with Wiltshire also in, as they were joined by Bob Blain’s HPD-Honda ARX-03b, Mike Furness in the Courage LC75 and Chris Atkinson in the Pilbeam MP91.

Tandy and Frieser were both in from their top positions on lap 14, along with Andy Willis who would hand over to Stephan Joebstl while Ron Maydon took over from Craig Davies in the two Ligier P3s. As the pit window closed, Tandy now led Frieser by 15 seconds, the Canadian having Martí breath down his neck. Werner was up into fourth, 16 seconds down on the Spanish youngster. Purbrick was fifth, 41 seconds down on the leader, with Joebstl in sixth, 50 seconds down. Stahl continued to lead in GTs with the Ferrari 458 GT3, now in seventh overall, but Wiltshire was homing in on the German. Maydon was ninth, with Gabel rounding out the top-ten as the second car in the GT class. Further back, Blain retired the HPD, the American still suffering from a sore neck.

On lap 16, though, the safety car was out to bunch up the field, as Mike Furness’ Courage LC75 and Jason Green’s Ligier JSP3 came to a halt out on the track almost simultaneously, Green spinning out of Tarzan corner, Furness getting into trouble in the Hugenholtzbocht. Four lapped cars – those of Stahl, Wiltshire, Bakker (in the Viper started by Kreuger) and Wright – still separated Tandy from his pursuers, though. Meanwhile, word came through that Frieser, Stahl and Gabel were hit with a five-second time penalty for crossing the white line on pit exit.

But would there be a restart? There wouldn’t – Tandy received the chequered flag under yellows, to win from Frieser, Martí and Werner. Martí won the P3 class from the Willis/Joebstl and Davies/Maydon Ligiers, while Werner proved victorious in P2, leading home the Brise/Purbrick Lola and Wiltshire’s Ligier. Michael Lyons and Christopher Stahl won in GTs, ahead of Gabel and Wright.

After the race, the result changed, though, as Frieser and Wiltshire were penalised ten seconds for overtaking under the safety car. This elevated Martí and Werner into second and third overall, as Frieser and Wiltshire dropped to sixth and ninth respectively.

Masters Endurance Legends – Race 2
Tandy does the double in Masters Endurance Legends at Zandvoort.

Steve Tandy romped away to another dominant Masters Endurance Legends win at Zandvoort, as his Peugeot 90X stayed 16 seconds clear of Marco Werner’s Lola-Lotus B12/80, the German taking the P2 class win in the process.

“Two in a row!” said a jubilant Tandy. “It was a lovely race. I had a nice getaway and opened up a good gap to Marco and Pepe [Martí]. We had a superslick team pitstop, and after I managed the pace before three laps from the end I decided to go for fastest lap. I nailed a good 1.32, so I’m pleased with that!”

Werner overcame the longer stop he was forced to take as an elite driver to catch and pass Keith Frieser’s Zytek 09S after the stops. In the opening part, the German had already done some chasing before he passed Pepe Martí for second place. After the stops, Frieser held off the young Spaniard in the P3-class-winning Norma M30 for third.

“It was not so easy this time!” Werner said. “The car didn’t have the right setup, it was jumping around too much, especially in the fast esses at the back which I normally like. So I couldn’t go flat-out through there. It was better with less fuel in the tank, so I was happy to get back up to second.”

“I’m very satisfied”, said Frieser. “That was a good race. I was trying hard to learn the track while keeping up with Marco and Pepe. Towards the end, I spun in the chicane, so I’m happy that I managed to stay third.”

In fifth, Stuart Wiltshire ran home to take second in the P2 class with his Ligier JSP2, while on the penultimate lap Aaron Scott in the ORECA LMPC10 shared with Rick Carlino pipped the Craig Davies/Ron Maydon Ligier JSP3 for sixth overall and second in P3. In the Lola B09/80, David Brise ran second in P2 early on, but co-driver Alan Purbrick dropped behind Scott and Maydon towards the end. In ninth overall, Jason Wright’s Ferrari 458 GT3 won the GT class.

With the grandstands still packed as they were all day, a Masters Endurance Legends field powered away for the final Masters race of a very atmospheric weekend at the Dutch seaside. Immediately, Tandy stormed off into a 1.9-second lead of Martí, with the P2 cars of Werner and Brise following. Frieser was fifth, with Stuart Wiltshire’s Ligier JSP2 coming through to sixth.

The order remained the same in the following laps, with Craig Davies in seventh (and second to Martí in the P3 class) in the Ligier JSP3, ahead of Rick Carlino’s ORECA LMPC10 and Jason Wright in the GT-class-leading Ferrari 458, the American involved in a straight fight with Mike Furness in the Courage LC75.

The silent diesel Peugeot 90X up front led by four seconds over the P3 Norma M30 after four laps, with Werner a further two seconds adrift. Nine seconds from the leader, Brise was giving his all in the P2 Lola B09/80 to keep Keith Frieser’s P1 Zytek 09S behind – which he managed to do until lap 5, but then the Canadian was through. Further back, Furness pushed on and passed Wright for ninth overall.

On lap 6, Tandy produced the fastest lap of the race so far, extending his lead over Pepe Martí to nine seconds, as Werner closed on the young Spaniard, the gap now down to two seconds. Frieser in turn was putting the German under pressure, having broken free of Brise. Wiltshire remained sixth, now 34 seconds down on Tandy, with Davies, Carlino, Furness and Wright up next. Giving the Pilbeam MP91 its Masters Endurance Legends debut, Chris Atkinson ran 11th.

The pit window opened 15 minutes into the race, just as the fight for second place hotted up, Martí, Werner and Frieser now running as a trio – and on lap 10, Werner duly overtook Martí, as Jason Wright was the first to do his mandatory stop. Werner immediately created a three-second gap, pushing Martí to come in for his stop. The FIA F3 driver was followed by David Brise handing over to Alan Purbrick.

For the moment, Tandy stayed out, as he led Werner by 11 seconds and Frieser by 15. Carlino was in next, handing over to Aaron Scott, followed by Davies who was to be relieved by Ron Maydon. On lap 14, Frieser and Wiltshire made their stops, followed in by the two leaders, with Werner as an elite driver having to stop longer. Furness was the last to come in on lap 16, but was that before the pit window closed?

After the stops had panned out, Tandy led Frieser by 14 seconds, the Canadian having profited from Werner’s longer stop. The German had ten seconds between himself and Frieser to undo, as he led Martí by six seconds. A minute down, Wiltshire had passed Purbrick for second in the P2 class, with Maydon still seventh overall and second in P3. Furness and Scott were up next, but Scott’s pace was enough to soon take the place. In tenth overall, Wright still led in the GT class, ahead of Atkinson’s Pilbeam.

On lap 18, Werner was back up into second place, now 22 seconds down on the dominating Peugeot, as Frieser had spun in the chicane, losing some ten seconds. In fourth, Martí was also catching up with the Zytek as it got back up to speed, the Norma now just three seconds short of third place. Meanwhile, Mike Furness was into the pits with his Courage, dropping from ninth to take a penalty for indeed missing the pit window.

As the clock wound down, Tandy looked secure in first place, 21 seconds up on Werner, while Frieser had recovered from his spin and safeguarded his podium spot against Martí. In the final laps, the Peugeot eased off to win by 16 seconds from Werner. Frieser held off Martí for third, with Wiltshire taking a distant fifth. On the penultimate lap, Aaron Scott pipped Ron Maydon for sixth, with Purbrick taking seventh ahead of GT class winner Jason Wright.

Masters Gentlemens Drivers & Pre66 Touring Cars
Thomas/Lockie surge to dominant Masters Gentlemen Drivers win, as Sam Tordoff wins in Pre-66 Touring Cars at Zandvoort.

Julian Thomas and Calum Lockie (Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupé) fought off the opposition by winning Zandvoort’s 90-minute Masters Gentlemen Drivers race by well over a lap. For once, Lockie started the race to pull out a massive lead over his rivals, with Thomas extending the gap even further. The local crews of Bernhard van Oranje/Tom Coronel (in another Daytona Cobra) and David & Olivier Hart (Bizzarrini 5300 GT) came home a distant second and third, Hart Sr having been delayed by a slow puncture.

“The car was fantastic all race”, said Thomas. “And I couldn’t slow down too much, otherwise I’d lose my concentration!”

“Yes, the car was absolutely wonderful”, Lockie agreed. “We stroked it, focused on keeping it nice and tidy. I love this place, just fantastic, and great to see everyone so enthusiastic!”

The John Spiers/Nigel Greensall TVR Griffith also challenged for second place before Greensall was forced to retire the car at two-thirds’ distance. Meanwhile, the CLP class fight heated up towards the end, with Andrew Jordan passing Andy Willis in a battle started by John Tordoff and Philipp Buhofer respectively. Robin Ward led early on but was forced to retire the Ginetta G4R shared with Ron Maydon. Further back, the Steve Jones/Chris Atkinson Elan held off Stephen Bond/Cliff Gray example for third in class. In 12th overall, Mark Pangborn and David Smithies cornered the C2 class win in their Austin Healey 3000.

The concurrent 60-minute Pre-66 Touring Car race proved to be a straight fight between the two Ford Falcons of Sam Tordoff and Julian Thomas/Andy Wolfe, Tordoff leading from start to finish. Richard Dutton took third to win the Cortina class, chased home by the Mustangs of Rob Fenn and Bas Jansen/Jac Meeuwissen.

On a bright Sunday morning, under a clear blue sky, the combined Masters Gentlemen Drivers & Pre-66 Touring Car rolled off for their races, the GT cars racing the full 90 minutes, while the touring car would be flagged off after an hour. Lockie – for once starting the Shelby Cobra Daytona – led away from David Hart, with Zandvoort track owner Bernard van Oranje in the second Daytona Cobra up next. In ninth overall, Sam Tordoff’s Falcon headed the touring-car section from Julian Thomas, the latter doing a double stint in the Falcon and the Cobra.

After three laps, Lockie led Hart by seven seconds, with Van Oranje a further seven ticks adrift. Vincent Kolb was fourth in a ‘regular’ Cobra, while Robin Ward led the CLP class in the Ginetta G4R shared with Ron Maydon. John Spiers was up next in the TVR Griffith, but on lap 4, he jumped both Kolb and Ward, as the trio snapped at Van Oranje’s heels, along with David Methley’s Cobra. At the back, Stephen Mawhinney was the race’s first retirement, his Cortina pulling off at Tarzan.

Tordoff and Thomas continued to fight for the touring car lead, now chased by the Mustang of local man Bas Jansen, with Richard Dutton up next in the first of the Cortinas. Mixed in between them, the Elans of John Tordoff and Philipp Buhofer were second and third in the GT’s CLP class. In C2, Mark Pangborn’s Austin Healey 3000 led Christopher Stahl’s Ferrari 250 Lusso, the Ferrari having started from the pitlane.

At the front, Lockie’s lead had increased to 14 seconds by lap 6, the Scot pushing to open up a lead big enough for Thomas to defend later against young Olivier Hart. Spiers had moved up into third, and still had Nigel Greensall as the ace up his sleeve, keeping this very much a three-horse race. Van Oranje was fourth but had Tom Coronel waiting in the wings while Ward snapped up fifth overall from Kolb, who would later hand over to none other than Frank Stippler. On lap 7, Ward also passed Van Oranje to move up into fourth. Further back, in 14th position overall, Dutton still led the Cortina class, some fifteen seconds ahead of Alan Letts in 18th overall.

Positions remained stationary in the next few laps, Lockie having left Hart behind to the tune of 20 seconds. Spiers followed 11 seconds down on the Dutchman, while further down the order, the leading touring cars of Tordoff and Thomas both jumped Methley to improve to seventh and eighth overall, as Nathan Dod moved his TVR Griffith into the top ten, and on lap 10 charged past Methley too. On the same lap, the Cortina battle was dealt a blow when Alan Letts was seen pulling off in the Gerlachbocht.

The touring-car pit window was nigh, but for the moment no-one leapt at the opportunity. At the front, Lockie had really turned up the wick and led by 39 seconds, as Spiers had closed in on Hart Sr, the Griffith now trailing the Bizzarrini by a mere six seconds. Van Oranje was a lonely fourth, getting the place back when Ward was in for an unscheduled stop that proved to be terminal. Among the touring cars, leader Sam Tordoff was the first to come in for his mandatory stop, soon followed by Rob Fenn in the Mustang. Dutton was in next, along with Nils-Fredrik Nyblaeus, the Swede handing over Falcon driving duties to his countryman Johan Rosendahl.

Lap after lap now, Hart was losing ground to Lockie at a rate of five seconds – all was not well with the Bizza, and on lap 15, Spiers was inevitably up into second place. Van Oranje was still 15 seconds down but now catching the American-engined Italian car as well, despite having been warned for exceeding track limits. Meanwhile, Julian Thomas was in to hand his Falcon over to his quick preparer Andy Wolfe, with John Dunham swapping places with Mark Owen in their Mustang. On lap 16, Hart was in, with what now was apparent as a slow puncture, handing third to Van Oranje, with Dod – who had passed Kolb – moving up into fourth. In eighth overall, the CLP class lead was now in Buhofer’s hands, the Austrian holding off John Tordoff in ninth. Among the touring cars, Bas Jansen was the last one to come in, handing over to Jac Meeuwissen, while Dutton was penalised ten seconds for crossing the white line on pitlane exit.

After 19 laps, Lockie led serenely, a full minute in front of Spiers, with Van Oranje a further 22 ticks adrift. Nathan Dod was in trouble, though, coming into the pits to give up fourth place to Buhofer, who was followed by Methley, Kolb and John Tordoff, with David Hart having resumed his race in eighth, a lap-and-a-half down on the leader. In 13th overall, Sam Tordoff led Wolfe by four seconds, with Dutton a further 22 seconds behind. At the back, Michael Lyons was forced to abandon the C2 class fight when the Ferrari 250 Lusso gave up.

Now, the pit window for the GTs had opened. Lyons’ C2 class rival Mark Pangborn was the first to come in, handing over David Smithies, while at the front, Spiers and Van Oranje took their first chances to switch places with Nigel Greensall and Tom Coronel respectively. David Hart and John Tordoff did the same, being relieved by Olivier Hart and Andrew Jordan, while in 20th position Jeremy Cooke handed over to Tommy Waterfield in the Shelby Mustang GT350. Next time around, Stippler got in Kolb’s car while Mathias Devis was relieved by brother Régis in the second Mustang GT350 in the field. On lap 23, Buhofer came in for Andy Willis to take over, as Lockie continued to pound in the sub-2-minute laps, soon to be joined by Greensall (in second), Olivier Hart (in seventh) and Tom Coronel (in fifth) performing the same feat.

On lap 24, Lockie finally came in after a massive opening stint, Thomas waiting to grab hold of the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupé. Despite their elite-driver penalty, Thomas resumed well in the lead, a minute and 21 seconds ahead of Greensall. Coronel trailed by another 42 seconds, with Willis leading the CLP class in fourth. In fifth overall, Sam Tordoff led the touring car race, now 16 seconds away from Wolfe, the Falcon pair sandwiching Olivier Hart in sixth. Methley was ninth, with Dutton rounding out the top ten, but Stippler was on the way up in 11th. In 18th overall, Smithies ruled in C2.

After a full hour of racing, Sam Tordoff was flagged off as the touring car winner, his Falcon leading home the similar car of Julian Thomas/Andy Wolfe by some 30 seconds. In third overall, Richard Dutton won the Cortina class, the Fortec Motorsport boss staying ahead of two more American V8s – the Mustangs of Rob Fenn and Bas Jansen/Jac Meeuwissen, with the John Dunham/Mark Owen Mustang and the Nils-Fredrik Nyblaeus/Johan Rosendahl Falcon further back. Italian Federico Mezzetti won the Mini class.

Half an hour still remained for the Gent Drivers. Thomas now had a full lap over Coronel in third, with only Greensall on the lead lap, 1 minute and 26 seconds behind. Olivier Hart had hauled the delayed Bizza up into fourth, with Willis leading Jordan in fifth and sixth, as the CLP class fight hotted up – Jordan was lapping two seconds faster than Willis. Stippler and Methley were seventh and eighth, with Peter Dod in ninth but looking at a stop-and-go penalty for missing their mandatory stop, so soon Régis Devis would move up into that spot. Behind the Belgian, Chris Atkinson ran third in the CLP class in the Elan started by Steve Jones, chased by Cliff Gray in the Elan started by Stephen Bond, while Smithies still comfortably led C2.

On lap 34, however, Greensall went missing, his TVR Griffith going no further than the daunting Scheivlak corner at the back of the circuit. This meant that Coronel was second but a lap down, so Thomas was safe from any safety-car issues. Olivier Hart chased his countryman in third, 17 seconds down, while the CLP fight was on – Willis’ gap to Jordan was now a mere 1.7 seconds. In sixth, Stippler was well adrift, a minute and 14 seconds away from the warring Elans. On lap 38, Jordan was through.

As the race ran into its final ten minutes, Thomas ruled imperiously, often lapping two seconds faster than both Coronel and Hart, the gap to his nearest pursuer now up to a whopping two minutes and 25 seconds. Jordan in fourth has eased away from Willis by six seconds, with Stippler, Methley, Devis and Dod next up. Atkinson and Gray still battled hard over tenth overall and third in CLP, the pair now separated by three seconds while Smithies had C2 sewn up, the Austin Healey leading Tommy Waterfield’s Mustang GT350.

After 90 minutes, Thomas crossed the line after a truly dominant performance, two minutes and 28 seconds ahead of Coronel, with Hart Jr 14 seconds further back. Jordan netted the CLP class win for himself and John Tordoff, with Willis trailing by five seconds. Stippler finished a lonely sixth, ahead of Methley and the Dods, while Atkinson narrowly kept ahead to claim third in CLP.

Masters Racing Legends for 66/85 F1 Cars – Race 1
Werner does the business in first Masters Racing Legends race at Zandvoort.

Marco Werner looked in control all throughout the first Masters Racing Legends race for 1966-’85 Formula One cars at Zandvoort, as the German’s Lotus 87B led from start to finish, fending off challenges from Frank Stippler’s Alfa Romeo 182 and Michael Lyons in the post-82 class-winning Lotus 92.

“In the beginning it was easy”, said Werner, “but going into the final laps I had a lot of vibrations in the car – maybe something with the differential. So you see it’s important to always have a gap!”

Stippler kept his countryman honest until he was forced to retire the V12-engined car on lap 7, allowing Lyons up into second place and Steve Brooks’ Lotus 91 into third, thus completing a full podium of JPS-liveried Lotus cars. A safety car to allow for safe retrieval of Stippler’s stranded Alfa Romeo helped Lyons to close on Werner, but after the green flag was waved, the German tore away to an eight-second lead at the chequered flag.

“I was starting to get close to Frank when he unfortunately had to retire”, said Lyons. “Then, after the safety car, I was happy with my pace but had a little issue at the end. Nothing to really worry about for tomorrow, though.”

Warren Briggs (McLaren M29) won an entertaining race-long fight with Georg Hallau (taking second in the post-82 class in his Theodore N183) and Marc Devis (Lotus 78) while Mark Hazell was seventh in the Williams FW08C that placed third in the post-82 class result. In eighth, Jonathan Holtzman comfortably took pre-78 honours ahead of Marco Coppini’s March 761, while in the process fending off Neil Glover’s Arrows A5. In 13th overall, Paul Grant won the pre-72 class in his De Tomaso 505/38.

“Just being in Holland, at Zandvoort!” said an enthusiastic Brooks, voicing his idolation of the Dutch circuit. “It’s a special track, isn’t it?”

“It was beautiful!” echoed Coppini. “A beautiful race, a beautiful place, beautiful weather – it was just perfect!”

“I was still learning the track”, said Holtzman. “It’s my first time here. This track is fantastic – once we started learning, we improved our times, so tomorrow maybe we can be competitive against the ground-effect cars. And I’m very impressed to see all these people coming to watch us. It makes you want to do a better job – it’s very motivating!”

“I was too late for the start”, said a rueful Grant. “I was still eating when my manager called me! So I started one lap down… I let the race go and was just showing the car to the people. I love it so much, it’s just as it was, the patina is just wonderful.”

Perfect racing weather greeted the Masters Racing Legends as they lined up on the grid for their first race of the weekend, with Marco Werner on pole and countryman Frank Stippler joining him on the first row. Werner’s Lotus 87B was quickest away, but he wasn’t allowed to break free by Stippler’s V12-engined Alfa Romeo 182, as Michael Lyons slotted into third in the Lotus 92. Hazell was fourth in the Williams FW08C, chased by Steve Brooks in the Lotus 91, Warren Briggs in the McLaren M29, Georg Hallau in the Theodore N183 and Marc Devis in the Lotus 78.

In ninth overall, Jonathan Holtzman’s Tyrrell P34 was first in the pre-78 class, ahead of Steve Hartley who had started from the back in a McLaren MP4/1 that proved so troublesome in practice and qualifying. Meanwhile, another car that was in trouble in practice soon retired to the pits, Lukas Halusa giving up on a Williams FW08 with gear change problems.

On lap 3, Werner had broken away by 3,2 seconds as Lyons hounded Stippler for second. At the cost of Hazell, Brooks was up into a fourth place now also fiercely contested by Briggs, Hallau and Devis, all bunched up into one group. One lap later, Briggs followed Brooks up into fifth, demoting Hazell to sixth. Hartley was now up into ninth, while outside the top ten, Neil Glover’s Arrows A5 fought Marco Coppini’s March 761 and Mark Dwyer debuting the ex-Jeremy Sayles Osella FA1D, with Arthur Bruckner’s Arrows A6 and Paul Grant’s De Tomaso 505/38 up next.

As Werner continued to lead, Stippler kept resisting Lyons, the pair now two seconds down on the leader. Brooks and Briggs had broken clear of Hallau, Devis and Hazell, while Hartley was catching up with the latter trio. On lap 5, however, the McLaren came trundling into the pits, its driveshaft broken, handing back ninth overall to Holtzman.

Ten minutes into the race, the leading three cars remained three seconds apart, but on lap 7, the Alfa Romeo suddenly disappeared from sight, as it pulled off at the Hans Ernstbocht. This allowed Lyons into second, while Brooks was now a clear third, 22 seconds in arrears of Werner but eight seconds ahead of Briggs. Stippler’s Alfa was parked in a dangerous position, however, so the safety car was brought out on lap 8. Meanwhile, Halusa’s issue seemed fixed, allowing the Austrian to return to the track.

On lap 10, the first six all bunched up nicely, the green flag was waved and racing continued with three JPS-liveried Lotus cars leading the pack away. Werner now had Lyons all over his gearbox, with Brooks a safe third ahead of Briggs, Hallau and Devis, while further back Hazell was chased by pre-78 class leader Holtzman, Glover, Dwyer and Coppini, the Italian passing Dwyer in the Osella on lap 11. Bruckner and Grant were two laps down and mixed into the field. Soon, Dwyer was into the pits with a front left wheel issue.

With four minutes still to go, Werner had created a small but useful margin of 1.3 seconds over Lyons, while Brooks followed nine seconds down. Briggs, Hallau and Devis continued to war over fourth place, two seconds away from Brooks, as Hazell was now in no man’s land in seventh. Holtzman was eighth, fighting Glover, with Coppini up next.

As the clock wound down, Werner’s lead grew to 6.7 seconds, as Lyons gave up the chase, and so after 15 laps, Werner was flagged off as the winner, with Lyons coming home eight seconds behind as the post-82 class winner. Brooks took third ahead of Briggs, Hallau (who took second place in the post-82 class) and Devis, with Hazell finishing a distant seventh and third in the post-82 class. In eighth, Holtzman ran home the pre-78 class win ahead of Glover, Coppini, Bruckner, Dwyer (still classified as 12th) and pre-72 class winner Paul Grant.

Masters Racing Legends for 66/85 F1 Cars – Race 2
Werner goes two for two in Zandvoort’s Masters Racing Legends.

Marco Werner (Lotus 87B) did the double at Zandvoort by also winning the second Masters Racing Legends race of the Historic Grand Prix weekend, as the German overcame a strong challenge from Michael Lyons in the Lotus 92 before the young Brit’s challenge faded, allowing Lukas Halusa (Williams FW08) to complete a stunning recovery drive from the back of the grid with second place.

“I suffered from a few misfires”, said Werner about being initially caught and passed by Lyons. “But then the misfires disappeared again, and after that, it went perfectly. It’s such a nice track, I love it – especially the fast corners such as Scheivlak!”

From the reversed grid for Saturday’s first five, Werner and Lyons soon hit the front, with Lyons hunting down Werner to pass him on lap 6. However, Werner stayed with the leader to repass Lyons on lap 9 and run away to a six-second lead of Halusa at the finish, Lyons coming home third, three seconds down on the Austrian.

“It was a mix of a vibration coming up and a bit of misfortune with traffic”, said Lyons about dropping away at the end. “But it was nice to have the fight in the beginning – and another [post-82] class win is always good!”

“I was on it!” said a beaming Halusa. “I knew we had an opportunity, because after only a few laps of practice and qualifying, we had a fresh set of tyres. So I was confident going into the race. But to stay ahead of Steve in the McLaren, who had similar issues in practice and was also on fresh tyres was very pleasing.”

Also coming from the back, Steve Hartley’s McLaren MP4/1 got up to fourth before losing pace towards the end, allowing Steve Brooks’ Lotus 91 to reclaim the position. Behind Marc Devis (Lotus 78) and the pole-sitting Georg Hallau (Theodore N183), Jonathan Holtzman’s Tyrrell P34 six-wheeler also completed the double by taking its second pre-78 class on the trot.

“It’s always helpful to have a few more miles on a new track”, said a delighted Holtzman. “And the weather is perfect, it’s a great venue, and that crowd – I mean, after Monaco I think this is the biggest! I’d better perform!”

In front of a main grandstand filled to capacity with Dutch fans, the Masters Racing Legends fired up their engines for Sunday’s second race of the Historic Grand Prix weekend, with Georg Hallau’s Theodore N183 and Warren Briggs’ McLaren M29 on the front row of a reversed grid for the first five. The troubled McLaren MP4/1 of Steve Hartley and Williams FW08 of Lukas Halusa were right at the back.

After the opening lap, Hallau still led, the German followed by Briggs and the four JPS Lotuses of Steve Brooks, Michael Lyons, Marco Werner and Marc Devis. Remarkably, Halusa was up to seventh, ahead of the pre-78 class-leading Tyrrell P34 of Jonathan Holtzman, who led Neil Glover’s Arrows A5, Hartley and Mark Dwyer’s Osella FA1D.

On the next lap, though, it was change all round, as Werner had leapt into the lead, followed Briggs, Lyons, Hallau and Brooks, as Marco Coppini’s March 761 came trundling into the pits, its right CV joint destroyed – a big blow to a possibly exciting pre-78 battle with Holtzman. After his initial rise, Halusa was still seventh, while Hartley was up to ninth.

At the front, Werner had opened up a 1.3-second to Lyons, whose Lotus 92 was now in second place, ahead of Brooks and Hallau in third and fourth, joined by Halusa in fifth, ahead of Devis and Hartley. Lyons wasn’t letting the German go, though, as they went side-by-side into Tarzan corner for lap 4. Meanwhile, Halusa got up to fourth, passing Brooks, while Hartley had jumped Devis.

The leading pair continued to fight, only separated by 35 hundredths going into lap 5, as Halusa rose to third at the expense of Briggs, the New Zealander now focusing on his battle with Brooks – and not for the first time this season. Hartley was sixth, having passed Hallau, and would soon attempt to make his way past Briggs and Brooks.

On lap 6, Lyons was through, but only just, as Werner hung on by 0.171 seconds. With a demon fastest lap of the race, though, Halusa was happy to make it a three-way fight up front, but Warren Briggs was less pleased, the McLaren retiring to the pits, its engine running hot, handing fourth and fifth to Brooks and Hartley. Devis was seventh in his Lotus 78, now ahead of Hallau and Mark Hazell in the Williams FW08C, with Holtzman still leading the pre-78 class in ninth while involved in a non-class-related fight with Glover’s Arrows. Behind them came Dwyer’s Osella, Paul Grant in the pre-72 class-leading De Tomaso 505/38 and Austrian Arthur Bruckner’s Arrows A6.

At the halfway point, Werner still challenged Lyons, with Halusa holding a watching brief. Hartley had passed Brooks for fourth but the two were trailing by 12 seconds. Devis was 17 seconds down in sixth, ahead of Hallau and Hazell.

On lap 9, Werner hit back, the Lotus 87B regaining first place from Lyons’ 92, as Halusa aimed to threaten Lyons too. One lap on, it appeared that Werner had found some additional pace to lead Lyons by 2.5 seconds, the order and the gaps remaining virtually unchanged as the top trio went into lap 11. In fourth, Hartley trailed by 15 seconds, now four ticks ahead of Brooks, with Devis a further eight seconds back in a midfield that started to spread out.

As Werner’s lead increased to 3.7 seconds, it seemed that Lyons had taken too much out of his tyres, allowing Halusa to finally steal second place. At the back, Paul Grant’s De Tomaso cried enough to pull off in the Gerlachbocht.

Going into the final three minutes, Werner seemed safe for a Zandvoort double, leading Halusa by 3.8 seconds while Lyons dropped away to a 6.3-second deficit. Hartley, however, was starting to feel the pressure from Brooks, the Spitfire pilot closing into 1.2 seconds. On the penultimate lap, Brooks was through. Meanwhile, in ninth, Holtzman had got into a six-wheeled rhythm and was catching Hazell’s much younger Williams.

Nothing was going to trouble Werner anymore, though, the German going two for two in his Lotus 87B, with Halusa second, six seconds down, while Lyons trailed home nine seconds behind the leader. Brooks took fourth ahead of Hartley, with Devis and Hallau leading home pre-78 class winner Holtzman who had pipped Hazell going into the final lap. Neil Glover competed the top ten.

Masters Sports Car Legends
Hart & Hart defeat Bradshaw in intense fight for Masters Sports Car glory at Zandvoort.

Home heroes David & Olivier Hart won the Masters Sports Car Legends at Zandvoort by hunting down the pole-sitting Chevron B19 of Tom Bradshaw to win by 5.4 seconds. In the opening half of the race, David Hart failed to let Bradshaw out of his sight, partly helped by a safety-car period at around a quarter distance, after which son Olivier chased the Chevron hard to finally make a successful pass for the lead with less than minutes to go.

“It was brilliant, I’m very happy with my race”, said Olivier Hart. “We had just put in a new engine with more torque, so that made the car really quick. I was able to consistently lap in the 1.43s to close the gap to Tom, but then I began to suffer from understeer, and the downshift from third to second was giving me some trouble. For a moment, I thought I wasn’t going to pull it off but I knuckled down, got into a rhythm again, and then I got him.”

“I loved it!” said Bradshaw. “After our recent issues, it was good that we got the car to the finish without any issues. I pushed all the way, but he was quicker. But as I’ve said before, it’s sometimes more satisfying to lose a hard-fought race than to win by a mile.”

In another Chevron B19, Mark Hazell and Martin O’Connell took a distant third, the pair moving up a place once Lukas Halusa’s Alfa Romeo 33TT3 retired from the race with a throttle issue. Also profiting from cars dropping out – including the Steve Brooks/Martin O’Connell T70 Mk3B and the Marc & Mathias Devis Chevron B19 – were Julian Thomas and Calum Lockie whose modest Bonnier-class-winning Chevron B8 managed to clinch fourth place ahead of John Sheldon’s Chevron B16.

“Apart from sitting behind the safety car I had an entertaining race”, said Hazell, before O’Connell continued, “It was all good, but for me it was a bit lonely…”

In the pre-66 Hulme class, Richard McAlpine (McLaren M1B) led the first 20 minutes of the race before Chris Jolly passed him after the safety-car restart to hand a class-leading Cooper Monaco T61M to Steve Farthing who subsequently ran home to the win. In ninth overall, the Christopher Stahl/Michael Lyons Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona lifted Pescarolo class honours.

“It was me versus these two!” said McAlpine about the fight he put up against Jolly and Farthing. “I came out just behind the safety car but if I’d been ahead of it, it would have been game over!”

As it was, Jolly passed McAlpine right after the safety car had gone. “I got a bit of momentum, and I was through.”

Closing the curtains on a fantastic Saturday at the Historic Grand Prix, the Masters Sports Car Legends got going with Bradshaw’s Chevron B19 leading away from David Hart in the Lola T70 Mk3B, with Lukas Halusa up next in the Alfa Romeo 33TT3. Gans was fourth in his Lola T290, while Steve Brooks had moved up a place in his T70, demoting Julian Lockie’s little Chevron B8. In ninth, Richard McAlpine led the Hulme pre-66 class in his McLaren M1B, with Chris Jolly in 12th overall in the Cooper Monaco T61M shared with Steve Farthing.

On lap 2, Marc Devis in the Chevron B19 also passed Thomas, with Mark Hazell’s Chevron B19 passing John Sheldon’s Chevron B16 for eighth, but Thomas was back up into sixth on the next lap while Felix Haas was into the pits with a misfire hampering the German’s Lola T210.

At the front, Bradshaw left Hart Sr trailing by 2.8 seconds, with Halusa a further 1.4 seconds adrift on lap 3. On the next lap, the Chevron had increased its lead to 3.5 seconds, but it would soon be reduced to zero, as the safety car was called after Michael Gans’ T290 came to a halt in an unsafe position at the back of the circuit. The American’s demise promoted Brooks up to fourth, with Devis, Thomas, Hazell and Sheldon up next. Georg Hallau had hauled his T212 up to ninth, while McAlpine still led the pre-66 class in tenth overall, ahead of Jolly and Thomas Matzelberger in another T210. In 13th, Christopher Stahl tried to keep up with the prototypes in the only GT car in the field, the Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona still keeping together after a troubled qualifying session.

The field was given the green flag at the start of lap 8, 19 minutes of the race gone, with Hart wide awake as he immediately put the pressure on Bradshaw in the lead. However, the youngster wasn’t sleeping either, as he pulled out a 1.2-second lead during the lap. However, while Halusa was still third, Brooks had disappeared from fourth, as the Lola came into the pits, followed in by Hallau who seemed in similar trouble, the German retiring his T212 with handling issues. This elevated Devis to fourth, followed by Thomas, Hazell and Sheldon, while Chris Jolly had jumped McAlpine for the lead in the pre-66 class.

The pit window now two minutes away, Bradshaw increased his lead over Hart to 4.6 seconds on lap 11, but further back Marc Devis was in trouble, the Chevron B19 having pulled off at the exit of Tarzan. This promoted Thomas to fourth and Hazell to fifth just before the pit window actually opened.

Matzelberger was the first to come in, handing over to fellow Austrian Ingo Strolz, immediately followed by Hazell, who was relieved by Martin O’Connell, as the rest continued for at least another lap. On lap 14, Hart Sr changed places with son Olivier, as Halusa also came in for his mandatory stop. Soon after, Stahl entered the pits to hand the Ferrari Daytona to Michael Lyons. While Bradshaw stayed out, both pre-66 contenders came in at the same time, Jolly handing over Farthing. At the same time, Thomas gave the Chevron B8 to Calum Lockie, with John Sheldon also taking his mandatory stop.

From third, however, Halusa wasn’t in a hurry to leave the pits, an issue with the throttle metering unit keeping the Alfa Romeo in the pits, before the team decided to retire the 33TT3 for good. At the end of lap 16, Bradshaw was the very last to pit. When he rejoined, he still had three seconds in hand, but the race was on – Olivier Hart was already setting purple sectors in his chase of the Chevron. O’Connell was third, ahead of Lockie and Sheldon, trailing Hart Jr by 33 seconds. Steve Farthing led the pre-66 class, now 16 seconds clear of Richard McAlpine, the two cars had risen to sixth and seventh overall, ahead of Strolz and Lyons.

With 20 minutes of the race still to run, a finely poised race between two very talented youngsters ensued – Hart Jr eeking closer with one to two tenths per lap. With O’Connell not quite able to match their times, the second B19 in the field was losing ground to the leaders but enlarged his advantage to Lockie, Sheldon and the rest of the field. Meanwhile, Lyons was into the pits with the Ferrari, the race set to lose one more car, but it returned five laps down.

On lap 22, Bradshaw’s advantage had been cut to six tenths, as the battle for the lead intensified even further. On the next lap, it was a single tenths as both cars thundered side-by-side towards Tarzan. O’Connell was a lonely third, now 38 seconds down. On lap 24, however, Bradshaw’s lead was back up to seven-tenths, Hart not having made the pass stick. Next time around, it was five-tenths, as Hart tried to close back up again. Further back, Farthing had increased his lead over McAlpine to 28 seconds.

On lap 26, with less than ten minutes go, both leaders were side-by-side again on the main straight. Next time around, the gap was the same but the order had been reversed: Hart now led the race. The race was now all about the top two, as O’Connell, Lockie, Sheldon, Farthing and McAlpine were all-in races of their own. Hart extended his lead to 1.6 seconds on the next lap, with Bradshaw seemingly having been forced to give way.

Five minutes remained on the clock, in which Hart steadily grew his lead to 5.4 seconds at the chequered flag. Trailing Bradshaw by 51 seconds, O’Connell was third, with Lockie a lapped fourth and Sheldon fifth, two laps down. In sixth overall, Chris Jolly and Steve Farthing cornered the pre-66 class win, finishing 46 seconds in front of McAlpine. Next across the line were Strolz, Lyons and a very much delayed Felix Haas.