16 – 18 June 2023

Masters Grids Thrive At Zandvoort’s Celebration of Historic Motorsport

All six Masters grids played a big part in the joyous celebration of historic motorsport that the Historic Grand Prix at Zandvoort proved to be this weekend. Headlined by a record Masters Racing Legends grid of no less than 29 1966-’85 Formula One cars, the event buzzed for three days in amazing summer conditions, visited by tens of thousands of Dutch enthusiasts swamping the paddocks and the grandstands.


Masters Endurance Legends – Race 1
Werner claims victory in Zandvoort’s first Masters Endurance Legends race.

Marco Werner proved victorious in the first Masters Endurance Legends race at Zandvoort, as his Lotus Lola B12/80 profited from the demise of Christophe d’Ansembourg whose Lola-Aston Martin DBR1-2 had led the first part of the race. The German cheekily stole a march on the Belgian on the opening lap before d’Ansembourg reasserted himself at the top of the leaderboard, the two split by no more than two seconds during their opening stint. When d’Ansembourg’s Lola failed to get going again at the stops, Werner was free to run home the victory.

“At the beginning it was a nice race, but after Christophe had gone I just brought it home”, said Werner. “On the first lap, I took my chance in the banked corner, going low instead of high, and I overtook him but on the straight he just tore straight past me. After that, I was often close to him in the infield but then he just took off on the straight.”

34 seconds behind Werner, Mike Furness claimed his first overall podium in Masters Endurance Legends, his Courage-Judd LC75 keeping the class-winning P3 Ligier of Craig Davies/Ron Maydon behind by three seconds. Despite a pitlane start after a brake-issue scare on the grid, Stephan Joebstl and Andy Willis took fourth in the other Ligier JSP3.

“It’s a long time since I’ve been on the podium!” said a delighted Furness. “It was a strange race, though. One of the GT guys [Euser] jumped the start, and he was really fast after that. Once he fell away, I had a great battle with Craig and Ron for second place.”

“I really enjoyed that race”, said Davies. “Battling with James Hagan really, it was very close at various parts of the circuit, but at the end I managed to get past. I gave it to Ron and he brought the baby home.”

Cor Euser wooed his home crowd by claiming the GT spoils in the bellowing Marcos LM600evo that has just been meticulously restored after its fiery demise back in time. Running third initially after having enthusiastically jumped the start, Euser gave the machine its best commercial advertisement by still staying in front of Jason Wright’s Ferrari 430 GT2 and André Hartl’s Porsche 997.2 Cup for the GT class win. With Hartl being an invitational driver, however, Günther Alth’s Aston Martin Vantage GT3 was promoted to third in class.

“Usually when it’s green we race!” Euser explained. “But it is what it is. I was able to make up for it afterwards, and was helped by the safety car which really got me back into the game.”

“I had a horrible race”, Wright rued. “The car was terrible, just undriveable – so nervous. I did a 360 – no, a 720 – coming down the hill! We’ll have to look into it, since it’s the car, it had nothing to do with the track. I still enjoyed myself, though. I always enjoy myself behind the wheel!”

“It was my first time at Zandvoort”, said Alth. “It’s a very challenging course, and step by step I was getting used to the curves. At first I was intimidated but now I think I like it!”

Well into Saturday afternoon, the Masters Endurance Legends set the ball rolling for their first race of the weekend, as the main grandstand still exploded with fans, many of whom were dying to hear Christophe d’Ansembourg’s Lola-Aston Martin V12 scream. Not starting from its spot on the grid, though, was the Stephan Joebstl/Andy Willis Ligier JSP3 which was wheeled back into the pits with brake issues to make its start from there.

D’Ansembourg indeed screamed across the straight first time around, but a storming opening lap by Marco Werner saw the P2 Lotus Lola B12/80 lead the P1 Lola-Aston around. With a balls-out first lap, local hero Cor Euser had roared ‘La Bomba’ up to third overall as the Marcos LM600evo not just led the GTs but also Mike Furness in the Courage LC75, Craig Davies in the other JSP3, with Jason Wright’s Ferrari 430 GT2 and André Hartl’s Porsche 997.2 Cup up next. Behind them, Joebstl had already made up a place at the cost of Günther Alth’s Aston Martin Vantage GT3, with James Hagan in the ORECA FLM09 following the Aston in tenth.

On the next lap, though, d’Ansembourg redressed the balance to reclaim the lead, but Euser continued to hold off the prototypes behind him. Joebstl, meanwhile, had passed Hartl and Wright for sixth. After four laps, the Belgian’s lead had increased to 2.2 seconds, but for the chasing Euser it soon appeared why he had jumped so many cars – he had actually jumped the start and was handed a stop-and-go penalty for his misdemeanour.

As d’Ansembourg and Werner continued to circulate split by some two seconds, Euser took his penalty at the first opportunity, rejoining in sixth but hot on the heels of both Ligiers and still leading the GT class. Further back, Hagan had made up positions by deposing Alth and Hartl.

The pit window was approaching fast now, but until then it was stalemate all through the order, with only Hagan gaining another spot, this time passing Wright for seventh. At the front, d’Ansembourg had now lapped every car up to Euser’s Marcos, who simultaneously as the leader lapped Joebstl, nipped through to take fifth. Moments later, Werner was the first to come in for his stop, with Joebstl next as the Austrian would swap around with Andy Willis. Following them in were Hagan – handing over to Chris Atkinson – and Hartl, with Alth also reporting in for his mandatory stop. Davies then came in for his relief driver Ron Maydon, and now Euser and leader d’Ansembourg were in too – just at the moment when the safety car entered the fray for Atkinson’s ORECA ending up in the gravel at no-name corner. This allowed Furness – who was still to stop – was able to claw back some of the time lost.

One car not leaving the pits, however, was none other than d’Ansembourg’s Lola-Aston as its FR team’s mechanics frantically circled the car in search for the issue before it was wheeled back into its garage. This meant that Werner now led the race from Maydon and Furness. Andy Willis in the other Ligier had passed Euser for fourth just before the safety car was called, but the Dutchman continued to lead in GTs, with Wright, Hartl and Alth up next.

Once the ORECA was freed from its gravely enclosure, some nine minutes remained on the clock. Werner led away to soon build a comfortable lead, but behind him Furness repassed Maydon for second. Willis was fourth but a long way behind the rival Ligier while among the GTs Euser similarly drove into the distance, soon unseen by Wright, Hartl and Alth.

As the clock wound down, Werner reeled off the laps to receive the chequered flag on lap 22. Furness took his first-ever overall podium with second place, 34 seconds down, as the Craig Davies/Ron Maydon pairing won the battle of the P3s from the Stephan Joebstl/Andy Willis combo. Despite his stop-and-go penalty, Euser prevailed in GTs, leading home Wright, Hartl and Alth.

Masters Endurance Legends – Race 2
D’Ansembourg hits back for win in Zandvoort’s second Masters Endurance Legends race.

Starting from the back after his Saturday trouble, Christophe d’Ansembourg came through to win the second Masters Endurance Legends race at Zandvoort. Despite strong opposition from Marco Werner in the P2-class-winning Lotus Lola B12/80, the Belgian Lola-Aston Martin DBR1-2 driver soon hit the front and held firm despite a late charge from his German rival.

“It was a struggle because of yesterday’s driveshaft failure”, said d’Ansembourg, “but I couldn’t let Marco get away too far, so I basically overtook all the other cars on the first lap. At the pitstops he was 15 seconds behind, so I was managing the gap, avoiding the kerbs, short-shifting, that’s three seconds a lap. I did a quicker lap towards the end but you still have to be careful with backmarkers. The team were worried because I was losing time but I was managing, I had it under control.”

“It was more about waiting for a mistake from him”, said Werner, “but speed-wise I had no chance. And then I lost time in the pits following Cor Euser in who was slower than was necessary. And he got out in front of me again, so it took me half a lap to pass him – normally the out lap is when you push!”

Craig Davies and Ron Maydon beat their P3 class rivals Stephan Joebstl and Andy Willis to take third overall, as the two Ligier-Nissan JSP3s were split by seven seconds. With their fair turn of speed, the Ligiers managed to stay ahead of the P2-class ORECA-GM FLM shared by James Hagan and Chris Atkinson, as its start from the last row on the grid resulted in sixth place overall.

At one time running third overall, Cor Euser ended up fifth to once again win the GT class in his Marcos LM600evo, as the Dutchman beat Jason Wright’s Ferrari 340 GT2 and Günther Alth’s Aston Martin Vantage GT3 to the top spot in class. André Hartl did well to haul his invitational Porsche 997.2 Cup up to eighth overall.

Just after 11 o’clock in the morning, the Masters Endurance Legends came out for their second race of the weekend. In hot but overcast conditions, Marco Werner’s P2 Lotus Lola B12/80 was on pole while on the back of his demise on Saturday, Christophe d’Ansembourg would have to come from the back in his V12-engined Lola-Aston Martin DBR1-2. Indeed, the Belgian needed only a single lap to charge his way to second place, albeit still six seconds adrift from the German winner of Saturday’s race.

With those two out in front, Craig Davies and Stephan Joebstl were left to fight over the P3 class lead in their Ligier JSP3s, with Cor Euser once again leading the GTs in fifth. One lap later, however, the Dutchman’s paced proved so strong that he managed to squeeze himself among the Ligiers. Also coming from behind, James Hagan was already up to sixth in the ORECA-GM FLM09, now with one less opponent in the P2 class, as Mike Furness was unable to compete after having found a brake issue on his Courage-Judd LC75. Despite that, the Briton who finished second on Saturday was still reeling about his first podium since 2008!

After four laps, the Lola-Aston had caught up with Werner before going on to lead into lap 6. In third, Davies trailed by some 40 seconds but Euser was unleashed in the Marcos and catching the other Ligier too. Joebstl was six seconds behind the Dutchman now, with Hagan hot on the Austrian’s heels. Jason Wright in the Ferrari 430 GT2 was seventh ahead of André Hartl’s invitational Porsche 997.2 Cup and Günther Alth getting more acquainted with the Zandvoort track in his Aston Martin Vantage GT3.

Heading towards the pit window, d’Ansembourg increased his lead to 4.6 seconds but Werner was still beating the leader on time in the twisty second sector of the circuit. Having held off Hagan until it was time for his stop, Joebstl was the first to come in, with Andy Willis taking over the Ligier on lap 10. Davies followed suit on the following lap, with Ron Maydon stepping in for him, the leading Ligier joined in the pits by Alth. The top three all came in on lap 12, with Wright and Hartl electing to pit on lap 13 and Hagan coming in on lap 14 to hand over to Chris Atkinson.

With all the pitstops done and time penalties affected, d’Ansembourg led Werner by 14 seconds as he completed his 14th lap, with Maydon a lap down but chased hard by Euser. Willis trailed the warring duo by 18 seconds but ran two seconds faster than Maydon who now found himself in fourth behind the thundering Marcos. Atkinson was sixth while Wright led the GT chasers in seventh, ahead of Hartl and Alth.

The race wasn’t entirely done, though, as Werner was now lapping around a second quicker than d’Ansembourg whose lead on lap 16 was cut to 11 seconds. Was the Belgian pacing himself or was he nursing an issue with his Lola-Aston? Two laps later, Werner’s deficit had shrunk to 8.5 seconds – and so, with nine minutes remaining on the clock, we had a race on our hands. Not just that, as behind the leading pair, Euser was slowing and soon swallowed by the two Ligiers now split by eight seconds – here was another race going on. Euser continued but his laptimes weren’t what they used to be. He still held a comfortable lead over class rivals Wright and Alth, though.

As the final five minutes approached, Werner was now in visual reach of the leader, 4.7 seconds down, as on the pitwall d’Ansembourg’s FR team were seen looking anxiously at their monitors. On lap 22, though, the Belgian all but matched Werner’s laptime to maintain his advantage at four seconds. Indeed, the next time around, d’Ansembourg popped in a 1.33, to ease out to a 5.1-second lead, and despite the continued worried looks and hand-signalling of his crew, the Lola-Aston looked to have the win in the bag.

And so, after 25 laps, d’Ansembourg crossed the line for victory in race 2, dropping back to a 2.7-second lead on the final lap. Craig Davies and Ron Maydon took another P3 class win in third, one lap down and seven seconds ahead of Willis, while Cor Euser took his second GT class win in two races, heading both Wright and Alth. The Hagan/Atkinson ORECA grabbed sixth while Hartl finished eighth in his Porsche Cup car.

Masters Gentlemens Drivers & Pre66 Touring Cars
Hart saved by the bell to win Masters Gentlemen Drivers race at Zandvoort while Thomas/Wolfe take Pre-66 Touring Car victory.

In a race cut short by a late red flag for Laurent Jaspers’ Jaguar E-type losing a wheel, Olivier Hart was saved by the bell as he narrowly won the Masters Gentlemen Drivers race at Zandvoort despite only moments earlier having been passed for the lead by Julian Thomas in a similar Shelby Cobra Daytona. However, when Thomas subsequently went wide in Tarzan corner, he handed back the lead to Hart just a few ticks before the safety car was called. Thomas’ teammate Calum Lockie had led Hart Jr during their opening stint but after the stops, Hart took charge by virtue of Lockie’s elite-driver penalty. Thomas was reeling in the Dutchman in the final half hour before the race was prematurely stopped.

“This was one of my better races in ages”, said a satisfied Hart. “We didn’t have the best engine and I also had an issue at full throttle restricting me in maximum revs, so I had to push to the maximum. We chose to pit early in order to be able to fend off the other guys as I knew about Calum’s elite-driver penalty at the stops. And then at the end, you just need a bit of luck, don’t you? I saw Julian flying past and knew he wasn’t going to make the corner. Then the safety car came out, and I thought I was in trouble – but then they redflagged it!”

“It was a great fun race against good competition”, said Lockie. “I really enjoy it, Zandvoort is just fantastic. Just a shame about the safety car and Julian going deep after his pass. But you know, that’s all coulda, shoulda, woulda…”

Third went to John Spiers and Nigel Greensall, the pair winning a race between four TVR Griffiths, the other three occupied by Ollie Reuben/Harry Barton, John Davison and Felix Haas/Michael Lyons. Greensall trailed the leading Daytona Cobras by 50 seconds before the red flag came out. In seventh overall, Robin Ward and Ron Maydon handsomely won the CLP class in their Ginetta G4R, with the Charles Allison/David Methley AC Cobra finishing ahead of nearest CLP class rivals Stephan Joebstl and Philipp Buhofer in the first of the Elans. In 12th overall, Mark Drain’s Elan took third in class while Stephan Shanly’s and Billy & Carl Nairn’s Elans fell by the wayside. The Morgan SLR of Keith Ahlers & Billy Bellinger prevailed in C2 while Mark Bates won C1 in his Porsche 911.

“You know, the exhaust was broken and the throttle stuck”, said Greensall about his inability to make any further inroads into the Cobra Daytonas in the lead. “It was just a case of getting it to the finish…”

In the concurrent 60-minute Masters Pre-66 Touring Car race, Thomas and Andy Wolfe reigned supreme, as their Ford Falcon ran out to a strong win over the first of the Cortinas shared by Kyle Tilley and Will Nuthall. In the first half of the race, Tilley battled hard with Nick Padmore in the Cortina shared with Max Werner but a delay for Werner meant that Lukas Halusa in the Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 GTA took third overall and second in the under-2-litre class. Werner’s troubles also allowed the James Hagan/Stephen Mawhinney Cortina through, but the German did manage to finish ahead of Tim Scott Andrews’ Ford Falcon and Dominique Raffin’s Cortina.

“The last thing I wanted was puncture it”, said Wolfe about nursing the Falcon home. “So I took it easy – Falcons turn to jelly, as they say! Julian gave me enough of a lead, and the car was mint. Just great!”

On a cool and fresh morning on what promised to be another hot day at Zandvoort’s Historic Grand Prix, the combined Masters Gentlemen Drivers & Pre-66 Touring Car grid rolled onto the main straight for its race of 90 and 60 minutes respectively. Three of the best GTs stormed off towards Tarzan, with Calum Lockie in the Shelby Cobra Daytona soon taking over the helm from polesitter John Spiers in the TVR Griffith, with Olivier Hart also following through in the other Daytona Coupé. In fourth John Davison pushed his fellow Griffith driver for third, while the Ferrari 250 GTO ’64 of Alexander van der Lof was soon passed by the fast-starting Robin Ward in the CLP class-leading Ginetta G4R.

Three laps in, the field had settled into a rhythm, with the two Daytona Coupés out in front, followed by the two TVRs and Ward, while Ollie Reuben in the third Griffith managed to pass Van der Lof for sixth. In 11th overall, Stephan Joebstl’s Elan ran second in CLP, chased by fellow Elan driver Stephen Shanly, while Mark Pangborn’s Austin Healey 3000 headed Keith Ahlers in the Morgan SLR in 16th and 17th, with C1 class leader Mark Bates in 18th in the Porsche 911. Julian Thomas led the touring cars in the Falcon, ahead of the Cortinas of Nick Padmore and Kyle Tilley.

But then, the race was redflagged when one of the cars came into the pits as its driver suddenly became unwell. He was attended to immediately and transported to hospital. After a delay of about 30 minutes the race was restarted for the full duration. At the restart, with all previous gaps negated, Reuben pounced on Ward but behind them Van der Lof was seen retiring his 250 GTO ’64 to the pits, allowing Thomas in the leading touring car to move up into seventh overall. He was soon followed in by Stephen Shanly, the Elan driver giving up on his third place in the CLP class with a car that was leaking fluids. This put Joebstl off the hook in defending his second place in class, as Mark Drain’s Elan was well down the road in 18th overall.

At the front, Lockie had created a margin to Hart of four seconds, with Spiers leading Davison and Reuben by four seconds, as the TVRs trailed the leader by at least six seconds. In C2, Pangborn and Ahlers proved evenly matched as they traded 14th and 15th places overall, with Bates joining in as the leading C1 driver. Among the touring cars, Thomas continued to circulate in seventh, with Tilley opening up a gap between himself and Padmore in their Cortina struggle. James Hagan followed in fourth in another Cortina, with Lukas Halusa in fifth in the Alfa Romeo Giulia GTA.

On lap 12, Billy Nairn ventured into the pits with the Elan shared with son Carl, as the touring car pit window opened. Hagan was the first to come in, handing over to Stephen Mawhinney, while at the front Lockie had shaped a seven-second gap to Hart Jr. Further back, Reuben and Davison had switched TVR order, as the three-strong group of Griffiths trailed the leading Cobra Daytona Coupé by 22 seconds. Ward was still the comfortable CLP class leader as the Ginetta managed to stay ahead of three bigger cars – Felix Haas’ Griffith, Laurent Jaspers’ Jaguar E-type and Charles Allison’s Cobra.

On lap 14, the touring car leader came in to hand his Falcon to Andy Wolfe, while at the same time Mark Pangborn was seen entering the pits for an unscheduled stop for the Austin Healey, taking the pressure of the C2 class fight for the lead. One lap later, both chasing Cortinas made their stop for Will Nuthall in Tilley’s car and Max Werner in the car driven by Padmore up to that point. The next time around, they were joined by Tim Scott-Andrews and Lukas Halusa taking their stops in the Falcon and the GTA respectively.

After 17 laps and 35 minutes of racing, with the touring car pit window now closed, Lockie led Hart by ten seconds, while Spiers and Reuben – both trailing the leader by half a minute – had broken free of Davison, and indeed on lap 18, the third TVR was passed by Ward. Davison still held a 45-second cushion to Haas and Jaspers, though, with Allison a further half a minute adrift. With the touring cars now circulating further down the road, Joebstl had re-entered the top ten in the first of the Elans, heading C2 class leader Ahlers and C1 leader Bates, with Drain’s Elan in 13th overall and third in the CLP class. Among the touring cars, Wolfe now led Nuthall by 50 seconds, who in turn led Werner by six ticks. Halusa, Mawhinney, Scott-Andrews and Dominique Raffin’s Cortina were up next.

Now it was time for the GTs to make their round of mandatory mid-race pitstops, with Spiers (handing over to Greensall), Reuben (relieved by Harry Barton) and Hart all coming at the first opportunity. They were joined by Jaspers, Haas (the car taken over by Michael Lyons) and Allison (swapping places with David Methley). On lap 23, the leader was in as Julian Thomas was ready for his stint in the Daytona Cobra, followed in by Joebstl handing over to Philipp Buhofer, and Ward who made way for Ron Maydon. Meanwhile, among the touring cars, Werner came in for a second stop, giving up on his chase of Nuthall in the leading Cortina.

With the second pit window closed, and Lockie’s elite-driver penalty effected at the stops, Hart now led Thomas by seven seconds but not lapping any quicker. Despite an additional time penalty of his own, Greensall was already up into third, but 50 seconds in arrears of the leading Cobra Daytona. Barton was fourth, 11 seconds ahead of Maydon whose Ginetta still comfortably led the CLP class. Davison was hurrying Maydon in sixth, followed at some distance by Lyons and Jaspers.

As the clock ticked away for the dying minutes of the touring car race, Wolf headed Nuthall by some 20 seconds to win the Masters Pre-66 Touring Car section. Profiting from Werner’s second stop, Halusa took third overall and second in the under-2-litre class, with the Hagan/Mawhinney Cortina next up, ahead of the Padmore/Werner combo, Scott Andrews and Raffin.

The GTs now had one more half an hour to decide who would be the winners. Thomas had the bit between his teeth and by lap 30 had cut his deficit to Hart to 1.8 seconds. 54 seconds away in third, Greensall was not making any impression on the Daytona Cobras in front while Barton did well to keep his fellow Griffith driver within sight. Davison was fifth but Lyons in the fourth Griffith was closing fast while Maydon was now seventh and in the process of bringing the CLP class win home. Jaspers, Allison and Buhofer completed the top ten for now, with Billy Bellinger leading C2 while Bates remained on top in C1.

Going into lap 34, the two Daytona Cobras were side by side on the main straight, but Hart defended well to hang on for another lap, but on lap 35, Thomas was past. However, Thomas went straight on into Tarzan and lost the lead just moments before the safety car was deployed for Laurent Jaspers having lost a wheel of his Jaguar E-type. With some 15 minutes still remaining, this looked to completely change the complexion of the race, as Greensall would come right back into play, with Barton, Davison, Lyons and Ward all bunching up too in the cars remaining on the lead lap. But with much more than 75% of the race distance covered and the timetable already under pressure, the race was redflagged – the result of that was Hart was the winner ahead of Thomas, Greensall, Barton, Davison and Lyons, with Maydon cornering the CLP class win. Allison and Buhofer were a lap down while Bates, Drain and David Smithies (in the Big Healey started by Pangborn) were two laps behind.

Masters GT Trophy – Race 1
Craig Wilkins continued his winning ways in the Masters GT Trophy as the Briton stormed to one more victory at Zandvoort.

The Lamborghini Huracán Super Trofeo Evo driver chased local hero Cor Euser’s Marcos LM600evo early on but turned the tables at the stops to win by 16 seconds.

“I’ve known Cor for many years now”, said Wilkins about his enjoyable fight with Euser. “He’s a quick guy and a very straight racer. You know, it’s great to just follow Cor in his tracks as he races in his back garden… Not my first time here, actually, I used to race a Dodge Viper in the Supercar Challenge here many times.”

Craig Davies came through to take a distant third in another Lambo Super Trofeo, helped by the Neil Glover/Aaron Scott challenge failing to materialise, as their Super Trofeo Evo was marred by a wheel issue during Scott’s stint.

“I like it!” said Davies about the Lamborghini experience. “It suits me, and it’s bloody fast. And this track is just epic, really…”

Pascal Goehen’s Chevrolet Corvette C6 took fourth ahead of Armand Adriaans’ BMW M3 GT4 and Michiel Campagne’s Ford Mustang FR500C, with Philippe Raffin’s Ferrari 430 Challenge coming home in seventh. André Hartl’s Porsche 997.2 Cup was fourth in the opening half of the race but the Porsche was forced to retire on lap 11.

“There’s no power steering on this car”, said Campagne, “so it was hard work, actually, especially in the slower corners. We’ll try again tomorrow, and then I have Allard Kalff to support me.”

Closing the curtains on the Friday of the Historic Grand Prix, while the sun was still out in full force, the Masters GT Trophy cars blasted towards the first corner, not with Neil Glover on the pole spot earned by Aaron Scott as their Lamborghini was docked four grid spots for speeding in the pitlane during the morning’s qualifying session. This meant that Craig Wilkins in the other Huracán Super Trofeo Evo led into the first corner chased by the guesting Cor Euser in the lairy Marcos LM600evo.

First time around, however, Euser was in the lead ahead of the Lambo, with Craig Davies third in the non-Evo Super Trofeo, as Neil Glover had moved up to fourth by passing André Hartl’s Porsche 997.2 Cup. Sixth was Michiel Campagne in the leading GT4 car, his Ford Mustang FR500C keeping ahead of countryman Armand Adriaans’ BMW M3 GT4, but soon Adriaans was passed by Frenchman Pascal Goehen in the Corvette C6, with another Frenchman next up – Philippe Raffin in the Ferrari 430 Challenge.

At the front, the fight between Euser and Wilkins continued, the two split by less than a second, but Davies wasn’t far off either, just 2.7 seconds in arrears with three laps done. The gap to Glover was up to 14 seconds, but Glover now held an 11-second lead over Hartl. By now, Campagne trailed by a long way but the Dutchman had four seconds in hand over the fight between Goehen and Adriaans.

After five laps, that same one second was still covering the space between Euser’s thundering Marcos and Wilkins’ in the screaming Huracán, but going into lap 6, Wilkins was the first to come in to hand Davies and Glover second and third for now. Further back, Goehen had finally caught Campagne to spark off a duel for sixth place, with Adriaans now a further nine seconds adrift.

As Wilkins resumed in fifth behind Hartl’s Porsche, the rest elected to stay out, until on lap 8, Davies was in for his mandatory stop. Next in was Glover handing over to Aaron Scott, and the leader followed him in on lap 10, along with Campagne and Adriaans taking their stop at almost the final opportunity, and Hartl taking the chance before the window would close again. His elite-driver penalty effected at the stops, Scott fed back in sixth overall, but instead of making progress, the Lambo was soon back into the pits, and only reappeared down in seventh place.

At the front, strong mid-race pace had Wilkins claim the lead from Euser, as the Lamborghini began to push out fastest laps of the race. The Dutchman had lost 13 seconds on Wilkins but now also found fresh pace, as the pair drove away from Davies in third. Goehen was fourth after failing to make his pitstop, but was still a minute down on Davies. By not stopping the Frenchman led leading Raffin (another one to pass on his mandatory stop) and the recovering Scott, while Adriaans had passed Campagne to be seventh. Hartl’s was back into the pits and seemingly unable to venture back out. Soon, he was followed by Scott yet again returning to the pits, as a wheel issue continued to hamper the Lambo.

As the race neared its finish, Wilkins powered through to claim yet another Masters GT Trophy win ahead of Euser and Davies. Goehen took fourth ahead of Adriaans, Campagne and Raffin. Both Goehen and Raffin were docked a lap for their refusal to pit but in the end it failed to make a difference, Goehen finishing in the same lap as Adriaans and Campagne but still with a second in hand over the two Dutchmen.

Masters GT Trophy – Race 2
The guesting Cor Euser ruled from the front as his mighty Marcos LM600evo ‘La Bomba’ won.

Zandvoort’s second Masters GT Trophy race by over a lap, as Craig Wilkins’ challenge evaporated when the driveshaft of his Lamborghini Huracán Super Trofeo Evo failed right after his mandatory pitstop.

Wilkins’ demise allowed Ron Maydon up to second to grab the full points on offer, his Lamborghini Huracán Super Trofeo trailed home by Pascal Goehen’s Chevrolet Corvette C6.

“Extremely lucky doesn’t even come close, but every dog has its day…” said Maydon about taking the official win behind the invitational Marcos. “I’m starting to like the Lambo now, it’s very fast and very easy to drive.”

From a pitlane start, André Hartl’s Porsche 997.2 Cup took fourth to claim Cup class honours while a troubled Neil Glover/Aaron Scott recovered to fifth in a Super Trofeo Evo that needed two additional stops. Armand Adriaans in the BMW M3 GT4 and Philippe Raffin in the Ferrari 430 Challenge were up next.

“Neil felt a vibration”, said Scott about Glover coming in during his stint. “Better safe than sorry, but in the end the car proved alright!”

Right on the back of their Friday late-afternoon curtain closer, the Masters GT Trophy cars were ready for their second race of the weekend that would kick off the Saturday of the three-day Historic Grand Prix meeting. Race 1 winner Craig Wilkins lined up on pole with Cor Euser’s mighty Marcos right besides him while after their mishap on the previous day, the Neil Glover/Aaron Scott was right at the back, with André Hartl’s Porsche 997.2 Cup and Philippe Raffin’s Ferrari 430 Challenge starting from the pits.

Into the opening lap, Euser stormed past Wilkins to grab an early lead as Maydon – driving solo having taken over the Huracán Super Trofeo from Craig Davies – was third from Pascal Goehen’s Chevrolet Corvette C6 while Neil Glover had already charged past the GT4 cars of Allard Kalff, opening for Michiel Campagne in the Ford Mustang FR500C, and Armand Adriaans, in the BMW M3 GT4. Soon, Glover was into the pits, though, the troubles with the Super Trofeo Evo continuing. This allowed Kalff and Adriaans to regain their places, with the BMW now under increasing pressure from Hartl’s Porsche.

Euser continued to lead Wilkins by some eight tenths into lap 4. Further back, Hartl had now indeed jumped Adriaans, but the Dutchman still handsomely led Raffin in the Ferrari Challenge.

Towards the pit window, affairs remained static until Wilkins was the first to blink as he once again started the string of mandatory stops. This time, he was followed in at once by Goehen, Hartl and Kalff handing over to Campagne, with Euser coming in on the very next lap, creating a very busy pitlane. For now, Maydon continued, as did Adriaans and Raffin towards the rear. Meanwhile, Glover having exited the pits to rejoin was back in, this time to hand over to Scott, but two laps down.

Despite having been the first one in, Wilkins was close to the last one out, heading back onto the track in eighth place, as Maydon and Raffin came in to do their stops, followed by Adriaans at the last possible moment. Wilkins failed to reach far, however, as his Lambo ground to a halt at pit exit with a broken driveshaft, his race over after “the best ten minutes of racing he’s ever had”! This allowed Euser into a comfortable lead of over a minute to Maydon, with Goehen now third ahead of Hartl and Adriaans. Another driver in trouble, Campagne returned his Mustang FR500C to the pits with back axle issues.

With some four minutes left on the clock, Maydon was under investigation for speeding in the pitlane but wasn’t posing a threat to Euser anyway, as the Dutchman continued to rule imperiously at the front, now having lapped the chasing Lambo as it lost time with a moment on lap 14. Behind Goehen and Hartl, Scott had put on a valiant charge to pass Raffin and Adriaans, moving up into fifth.

At the line, Euser triumphed by a full lap over Maydon, with Goehen a further minute behind. Hartl won the Cup class in fourth while Glover/Scott recovered to fifth ahead of Adriaans and Raffin.

Masters Racing Legends for 66/85 F1 Cars – Race 1
Lyons holds off Padmore and Cantillon for hard-fought Masters Racing Legends win in Zandvoort’s Friday race.

Michael Lyons (Lotus 92) soaked up endless pressure from teammate Nick Padmore (Lotus 77) and Mike Cantillon (Williams FW07C) to win the first of three Masters Racing Legends races at Zandvoort. The three finished just 1.6 seconds apart after an exciting race interrupted halfway by separate incidents involving champion Steve Hartley’s McLaren MP4/1, who continues his torrid season, Mark Higson’s MP4/1B and Arthur Bruckner’s Arrows A6.

“That was great fun!”, said a jubilant Lyons. “Here with the three-race format I was still using tyres from Hockenheim, so I had a tough but really nice battle with Nick. A couple of places I was stronger and in other places he was stronger, but it’s nice to race with people you can trust.”

“Because of Mike’s oil I could not see anything, so I wasted a tear-off on him!” said Padmore. “I was waiting for him to make a mistake but he didn’t. This was worth flying out for, especially after my initial flight got cancelled…”

“A good race after a difficult day with the car”, said Cantillon. “But we got it sorted after qualifying. I think it was a good race to watch, wasn’t it?”

On the spectacular 29-car grid, Matt Wrigley’s Penske PC3 charged up to fourth overall to take second in the pre-78 class, as he led home Pierre-Brice Mena’s Fittipaldi F8 and Ken Tyrrell’s Tyrrell 011, the latter recovering to sixth after a first-lap spin lost him fourth place. Behind them, Werner d’Ansembourg did extremely well to finish seventh on his debut in his father’s Williams FW07C. The young Belgian was chased across the line by Lukas Halusa’s McLaren M23 – third in the pre-78 class – and Warren Briggs in the McLaren M29, the Kiwi another one to recover from a spin.

“This is my first time here, so I’m pretty happy”, said Tyrrell. “A shame about the first-lap spin, I was a little too hot on cold tyres, but we kept it going and came back strong.”

“I really enjoyed that!” said Wrigley. “We had a tough qualifying, so today was about keeping our nose clean and move up as many places for Saturday and Sunday.”

“So nice to be here”, said Amsterdam-domiciled Austrian Halusa. “It’s a great track, and when the sun is shining, the Netherlands is a great place to be. It’s a tough place to overtake but I did make up a few places as others fell away. Still getting used to the car, though, it’s been a while since I last raced it!”

Jamie Constable’s Tyrrell 011B initially ran a strong third as the first of the Lotus chasers, but fell away towards the end, allowing Ian Simmonds’ Tyrrell 012 to take second behind Lyons in the post-82 class for flat-bottomed cars. The 012 finished 13th overall while in 18th overall, Georg Hallau’s Theodore N183 brought home third in the post-82 class. Meanwhile, Ewen Sergison starred by hauling his pre-72 Surtees TS9B up to 12th overall.

As a first, the 1966-’85 Formula One cars would race not twice, but three times during the weekend, so in perfect spring weather, the Masters Racing Legends cars lined up for their Friday race with a record number of 29 entries all raring to go. With Michael Lyons on pole in the Lotus 92 and team mate Nick Padmore sitting next to him in the Lotus 77, the field blasted away towards the Tarzanbocht. Constable in the Tyrrell 011B was third but in the Gerlachbocht, Ken Tyrrell spun away fourth place in his 011. This elevated Steve Hartley’s McLaren MP4/1 to fourth, with Mike Cantillon’s Williams FW07C up into fifth ahead of Warren Briggs in the McLaren M29, pushed by Pierre-Brice Mena in the Fittipaldi F8.

Matt Wrigley was ninth overall and second in the pre-78, the Penske PC3 driver, leading Tyrrell and the debuting Werner d’Ansembourg in the second FW07C, ahead of Lukas Halusa’s McLaren M23, third in the pre-78 class.

At the front, Padmore in the pre-78 class-leading Lotus 77 put pressure on Lyons, as Constable kept pace with the two Lotuses up front. After three laps, however, Constable was caught by Cantillon who had passed Hartley, with Menu up next ahead of the charging Wrigley. Tyrrell chased Briggs for eighth, with Simon Fish in the Arrows A4 now in front of the young d’Ansembourg and Halusa. Meanwhile, Ewen Sergison did well to have the oldest car in the field, the pre-72 Surtees TS9B, up into 16th place.

Four laps into the race, the lead five were split by a mere three seconds, with Mena now up into sixth ahead of Wrigley, Briggs, d’Ansembourg, Fish, Halusa, James Hagan’s Tyrrell 011, Max Werner’s Hesketh 308C and Mark Hazell in the Williams FW07

And then, moments after Hartley had retaken Cantillon for P3 on lap 5, it was mayhem as the safety car was brought out, subsequently followed by a red flag, Mark Higson’s McLaren MP4/1B having blown up braking into the chicane to leave Arthur Bruckner’s Arrows A6 spin off on its oil trail while Hartley’s McLaren simultaneously went straight on into the barriers in the Gerlachbocht.

After the cars were pushed back into their order to line up behind the safety car, the race was restarted following a break of some 15 minutes. Lyons and Padmore immediately picked up their lead battle, now followed by Constable, Cantillon, Mena, Wrigley, Tyrrell, Briggs, d’Ansembourg and Fish. The next time around, the top-seven were again a mere three seconds apart, with Briggs dropping down to 13th after an error, opening up a seven-second gap to d’Ansembourg in eighth.

With five minutes remaining, the first seven continued to run nose-to-tail, and this time around it was Mark Hazell dropping back after having been caught out by the challenging Dutch track, the FW07B now languishing in 20th. Halusa and Werner had entered the top-ten while in third and fourth in the pre-78 class respectively. One lap later, Wrigley took Mena for fifth overall in another storming drive by the young Briton, while Fish passed d’Ansembourg for eighth.

As the final minutes ticked away, Lyons kept soaking up the pressure from pre-78 class leader Padmore and Cantillon in the FW07C, as the top three gradually broke away helped by Constable being the next to run into trouble. This meant that Wrigley was now fourth ahead of Mena and Tyrrell, with a gap to d’Ansembourg, Halusa, the recovering Briggs and Werner.

After 11 tense laps, Lyons took the spoils, six tenths from Padmore who just held Cantillon back for second. Wrigley took second in the pre-78 class, with Halusa third, in eighth overall. Lyons was the post-82 class winner as well, ahead of Ian Simmonds’ Tyrrell 012 in 13th, the latter profiting from Constable’s late demise, with Georg Hallau third in 18th overall.

Masters Racing Legends for 66/85 F1 Cars – Race 2
Ken Tyrrell is a 1966-’85 Formula One race winner after the American stormed through into the lead in an incident-filled second Masters Racing Legends race at Zandvoort.

Passing polesitter Warren Briggs’ McLaren M29 on lap 7, Tyrrell’s Tyrrell 011 kept pre-78 class winner Matt Wrigley at bay as the Penske PC3 driver himself beat Mike Cantillon’s Williams FW07C to second place, the Irishman not actually finishing the race after his off at Scheivlak caused the race to be cut short with a minute still remaining on the clock. On countback, however, he still held on to third place.

“It was fantastic!” said a beaming Ken Tyrrell. “This is one I have been working to do for quite a while. I couldn’t be happier. I felt I had the speed, so it was about methodically getting by the other without getting involved in any incidents. It’s such a cool track, and it’s a joy to participate in its 75-year anniversary!”

“This might have helped!” Briggs quipped, pointing at groin area of the overalls on loan from Cor Euser. “My overalls didn’t pass, and this one has lots of space here… I loved it, it was good fun. Once I settled a bit, I felt comfortable – and it helps that this is such a great track.”

“I turned into the fast righthander a little too late”, said Cantillon about his last-lap slip-up. “The left rear wheel got on the grass on exit, and the car rotated. Matt was gone, and I had a safe third place in the bag. I didn’t to push on that lap – but the car is fixable and we’ll be back tomorrow!”

The race in front of packed grandstands at the Dutch circuit saw a lengthy safety-car period after first-turn contact between Jonathan Holtzman’s Tyrrell P34 six-wheeler and Peter Williams in the Lec CRP1. On the restart, Pierre-Brice Mena was in the wars with a failed outside pass into Tarzan turning into a spin into the gravel for his Fittipaldi F8. The race director then wisely decided to red flag the race and turn the clock back to ten minutes of race time for the 26 cars in the field.

“It was a good race”, said a happy Wrigley. “I don’t have the raw pace against some of the ground-effect cars but yesterday I got from tenth to fourth, and from sixth to second today! I feel confident in the car now, so let’s what tomorrow brings…”

Behind the top three, Briggs kept Friday’s winning duo Nick Padmore and Michael Lyons to fifth and sixth, Padmore taking second to Wrigley in the pre-78 class, while in seventh and ninth overall, Lukas Halusa in the McLaren M23 kept ahead of Max Werner in the Hesketh308C for third in class, sandwiching Werner d’Ansembourg in the Williams FW07C.

Lyons was the runaway post-82 class winner ahead of Jamie Constable whose Tyrrell 011B surged to the front after starting at the back of the grid. Passing class rivals Ian Simmonds (Tyrrell 012) and Georg Hallau (Theodore N183) on his way up, Constable allowed Simmonds to claim third in class in a straight fight with his German rival. In 13th overall, Ewen Sergison’s Surtees TS9B doubled up on pre-72 class wins.

On a hot and sunny second day of a vibrant Historic Grand Prix at Zandvoort, the grid – reversed for the first nine in Friday’s race – saw Warren Briggs’ McLaren M29 line up on pole, with Lukas Halusa’s McLaren M23 next to it. Werner d’Ansembourg’s Williams FW07C and Pierre-Brice Mena’s Fittipaldi F8 followed, with Ken Tyrrell’s Tyrrell 011 and Matt Wrigley’s Penske PC3 lining up on the third row. Mike Cantillon’s Williams FW07C, Nick Padmore’s Lotus 77 and Friday winner Michael Lyons in the Lotus 92 headed James Hagan’s Tyrrell 011, with Max Werner’s Hesketh 308C and Ewen Sergison in the Surtees TS9B up next. Right at the back was Steve Hartley’s McLaren MP4/1, mended after its off on Friday.

Three cars had gone missing after the first race, but still 26 cars roared off into Tarzan corner for their second 20-minute race in front of the packed grandstands. However, it didn’t take long for the safety car to come out, as Jonathan Holtzman’s Tyrrell P34 sixwheeler and Peter Williams in the Lec CRP1 came to blows in the run to the first corner, while Brad Hoyt in the Hill GH1 finished a slow first lap in the pits, the Hill’s battery having failed. On the next slow lap behind the safety car, Mark Hazell was also in, in a Williams FW07B that was leaking oil from its gearbox, the Brands Hatch star not having his weekend so far. Well behind the field, Hoyt and Hazell eventually ventured out again.

As the clock ticked away while the two stricken cars were recovered, less than seven minutes of actual racing remained. This meant that the frontrunners on the reversed grid had a great opportunity to finish well up, but again the race failed to get underway properly – this time, Mena tried a pass on the outside at Tarzan but on cold tyres spun off into the gravel. Wisely, the clock was stopped and reset to ten minutes, to still give the crowd some proper Formula One racing.

Praying that they would all behave now, the capacity crowd saw Briggs and Halusa lead away for the third time. Into lap 7, they came round clean, now with Tyrrell at the front, ahead of Briggs, Wrigley, Cantillon, Halusa, Padmore and Lyons, as the young d’Ansembourg tumbled down the order, the Belgian now chased by Werner, Hagan, Sergison and Marc Devis in the Lotus 78. Simmonds in the Tyrrell 012 and Georg Hallau in the Theodore N183 were fighting over second place in the post-82 class in 13th and 14th overall.

On lap 8, Tyrrell still led but now had Wrigley chasing him in the lead pre-78 car. Cantillon had moved into third while Padmore put Briggs under pressure for fourth. Lyons did similarly with Halusa, while d’Ansembourg held firm against Werner and Hagan. One lap later, Tyrrell’s lead of Wrigley had grown to 1.1 seconds, with Cantillon now five seconds adrift. Briggs continued to hold off Padmore but Lyons had managed to jump Halusa. Behind Ewen Sergison in the pre-72 Surtees TS9B, Steve Hartley’s McLaren and Jamie Constable’s 011B had risen to 13th and 14th but soon swamped the cars in front to be tenth and 11th.

One more minute remained when the red flag was issued once again, as Hartley tried to pinch back the spot he just lost to Constable and ran out of space into Tarzan. Simultaneously, Mike Cantillon went off at Scheivlak to bring out another red flag – and this meant the end of it. And so, on countback, Ken Tyrrell became a first-time winner in historic Formula One racing, the American holding off pre-78 class winner Wrigley and Cantillon, while Briggs held Padmore and Lyons to fifth and sixth. D’Ansembourg was eighth, sandwiched by Halusa beating Werner to third in the pre-78 class as the Austrian and the German ended up seventh and ninth respectively. Constable salvaged tenth from his start from the back to take second in the post-82 class ahead of Simmonds and Hallau. In 13th, Sergison racked up another pre-72 class win.

Masters Racing Legends for 66/85 F1 Cars – Race 3
Tyrrell does it again in third Masters Racing Legends race at Zandvoort.

Not having enough with his debut win in the category the day before, Ken Tyrrell took his second 1966-’85 Formula One victory in the space of two days when the American prevented a shock overall Masters Racing Legends win for Matt Wrigley in the leading pre-78 machine. Tyrrell led away from pole but after a mid-race safety car, Wrigley’s Penske PC3 caught Tyrrell on the hop at the restart. However, the Tyrrell 011 driver got the bit between his teeth and managed to reclaim the lead two laps from the end of what was uniquely the weekend’s third race.

“I feel good!” said a happy Ken Tyrrell. “It was a nice race with some strong competition. At the start it was good to get away and get a little break but at the restart I floored the throttle on the covered oil trail in the final corner so I slipped sideways – that was the catalyst for Matthew to get right on me…”

“I missed a gear!” said Wrigley about being forced to allow Tyrrell back past. “And the tyres were gone anyway so it was really close with Nick right at the end. In fact, we were side by side around the back on the final lap… Still, two class wins and a second place overall is good!”

The pass allowed Nick Padmore in the Lotus 77 to also have a go at Wrigley, as the two fought hard over pre-78 class honours, but Wrigley held the spot by a mere 0.115 seconds in a photo finish for the second and third-placed car. In the Lotus 92, Michael Lyons sat and watched it all while claiming fourth overall as well as the post-82 class win while Werner d’Ansembourg starred by getting his father’s Williams FW07C up to fifth on his debut weekend in historic Formula One.

“So close, but not enough!” said Padmore about his attempt to steal the class win from Wrigley. “It was a good race and really enjoyed that, but I needed two more laps…”

“I’m happy, very happy!” said d’Ansembourg, delighted with his post-78 podium on his debut weekend. “I tried to keep it steady and it paid out. Good memories to take home – the first of many, I hope!”

Jamie Constable (Tyrrell 011B) and Steve Hartley (McLaren MP4/1) drove fighting races coming from the back, Constable ending up sixth ahead of Lukas Halusa who in the McLaren M23 took third in the pre-78 class, while Warren Briggs in the McLaren M29 held Hartley to ninth. Pierre-Brice Mena’s Fittipaldi F8 completed the top ten ahead of Max Werner’s Hesketh 308C while Ewen Sergison (Surtees TS9B) made it three from three in the pre-72 class. In the post-82 class, meanwhile, Ian Simmonds (Tyrrell 012) ended a race-long battle with Georg Hallau (Theodore N183) as they warred over third in class.

All day, the tension had been building in the paddock and on the grandstands packed with thousands and thousands of Dutch historic motorsport enthusiasts, as straight after lunch the Masters Racing Legends machines lined up for their third race of the weekend – a first in the history of historic Formula One racing for cars from the 3-litre era. The grid was formed according to Saturday’s finishing order, meaning that Ken Tyrrell’s Tyrrell 011 was joined on the front row by Matt Wrigley’s pre-78 Penske PC3. Next up were Mike Cantillon’s Williams FW07C and Warren Briggs in the McLaren M29, with Nick Padmore’s Lotus 77 and Michael Lyons in the Lotus 92 sharing the third row.

21 cars remained of the original 29 that were entered for the events, as the previous two races had taken their toll, but it was still a strong field for Zandvoort’s humid final day of a very well attended Historic Grand Prix event. As the lights switched to green, Tyrrell led Wrigley and Cantillon, but Padmore had already found space to overtake Briggs, and further into the opening lap, so had Lyons. Lukas Halusa in the McLaren M23 and Werner d’Ansembourg in the second Williams FW07C hung on to their places, as did Max Werner in the Hesketh 308C, but Jamie Constable was already up into tenth in his flat-bottomed Tyrrell 011B.

The next time around, however, Cantillon had gone, his Williams stranded around the back, with Devis also failing to appear, and as a result of the Irishman’s fate, Padmore, Lyons and the result all moved up a spot. The Belgian’s trouble consisting of an engine that had let go in the final banked Arie Luyendijkbocht, and so the safety car was dispatched to ensure the safe cover-up of the trail of oil dumped by the Lotus 78. Meanwhile, moments before the pace car’s deployment, Steve Hartley in the plagued McLaren MP4/1 had reached as high as ninth as he followed Constable up through the field.

While the track was being cleared it was decided to lengthen the race to ten minutes once the safety car pulled in, instead of the six minutes that actually remained, so at the green flag, Tyrrell once again stormed off for what would be another five or so laps. Wrigley, however, had the American covered and was hot on his heels towards Tarzan. Tyrrell defended the inside line, but the pre-78 class leader managed to pull off the move anyway! Padmore and Lyons continued to chase, but behind them d’Ansembourg had made it stick on Briggs while Constable had passed Halusa for seventh. Further back, Pierre-Brice Mena – another one to come from the back in his Fittipaldi F8 – vaulted up to 11th by passing Sergison’s Surtees and Ian Simmonds’ Tyrrell 011 in one go.

Eight laps done, and both Constable and Hartley weren’t done moving up, the Tyrrell claiming sixth from Briggs while the McLaren robbed eighth from Halusa. Meanwhile up front, Tyrrell wasn’t allowing Wrigley to disappear, and indeed had opened up a modest gap to Padmore and Lyons.

Affairs remained static all throughout laps 9 and 10, but Tyrrell had closed right down to the Penske, as the leading pair were now covered by less than three tenths. Further back, Paul Grant’s March 761 nipped past Geoffroy Rivet’s Trojan T103 for 16th while Brad Hoyt in the Hill GH1 took Arthur Bruckner’s Arrows for 18th.

With less than two minutes to go, Tyrrell got back at Wrigley to reclaim the end, as Padmore in the second pre-78 car inched towards Wrigley for the coveted class win. Meanwhile, behind Halusa in ninth, Mena moved into the top ten by passing Werner. So with one more lap remaining, Ken Tyrrell went from no wins to two 1966-’85 Formula One wins in the space of two days. Padmore almost beat Wrigley to the line, but the Penske won the pre-78 class by a whisker. Lyons was fourth and the post-82 class winner, with d’Ansembourg a strong fifth on his debut weekend in the category. In sixth, Constable took second in the post-82 class, and Halusa brought the M23 home third in the pre-78 class, ahead of Briggs, Hartley (who slowed towards the end), Mena, Werner and pre-72 class winner Sergison. In another close battle, Ian Simmonds’ Tyrrell 011 beat Georg Hallau’s Theodore N183 to third in the post-82 class.

Masters Sports Car Legends – Race 1
Hart & Hart Jr dominate first Masters Sports Car Legends race at Zandvoort.

Dutch father-and-son duo David & Olivier Hart won from pole in the first 40-minute Masters Sports Car Legends race at Zandvoort, as an initial challenge from Henry Fletcher’s Chevron B26 faded past the halfway mark. This left the Ferrari 512M well in command over the two Lola T70 Mk3Bs chasing it, Steve Brooks in the end, comfortably prevailing from Jason Wright after the pair battled throughout their first stint.

“The car is still too wobbly”, Hart Sr said, “we need to do more testing, as I’m sure we are able to coax yet more speed out of it. I was playing a bit with the Chevron, but I must admit that he was quicker in the slow corners at the back – I had just too much understeer there. But once back on a straight, we were just gone…”

“I’m pretty satisfied”, his son said. “I enjoyed it very much, the car is improving and now more to my liking. The gearbox is still something of a bother, you need to change very, very quickly, but the car is getting better and better.”

“He was good, he was very good”, said Brooks, as he passed judgement on his rival Jason Wright’s driving in the early stages. “And it wasn’t Mr Nice Guy, I can tell you that! He was shutting the door on me in places… I overtook him but then I spun – and I must say, it’s hard work to get by the second time. But it was a great race, a really great race.”

“We had a good race”, Wright concurred. “But I’m going to do better tomorrow. This race was too close to the Masters Endurance Legends race, so tomorrow with a bit more rest I will be able to keep up the pace until the end.”

Julian Thomas and Calum Lockie did extremely well to lift their little Chevron B8 into fourth overall, in the process claiming a dominant Bonnier class win over Charles Allison’s similar B8, while John Spiers and Nigel Greensall took sixth and the pre-65 Hulme class win in their McLaren M1B. In tenth overall, Richard McAlpine took second in class in another M1B as Keith Ahlers and Billy Bellinger ran home third place in class in their Cooper Monaco ‘King Cobra’.

Behind John Sheldon’s Chevron B16 in seventh, Mark Bates bagged the Pescarolo class win for GT cars, his Porsche 911 RSR already heading the Alexander van der Lof/Yelmer Buurman and Marco Werner Ferrari Daytonas in class before both Italian cars faltered.

Pulling the curtains on a hot and exciting Saturday at the Historic Grand Prix, the Masters Sports Car Legends got going towards six o’clock, with David Hart leading away in the thundering Ferrari 512M, chased by Henry Fletcher’s Chevron B26 and Jason Wright in the Lola-Chevrolet T70 Mk3B. Soon, Steve Brooks was up into fourth with the other T70 Mk3B in the race and before the lap was over, the two T70 had swapped places, as Brooks was definitely on the march.

John Spiers was sixth, leading the pre-65 Hulme class in his McLaren M1B, followed by Julian Thomas in the Bonnier class-leading Chevron B8 and Alexander van der Lof in the first of the GTs, as the Ferrari 365 GTB/4 had John Sheldon’s Chevron B16 between himself and Mark Bates in the Porsche 911 RSR. On lap 2, though, as Wright retook Brooks, Richard McAlpine in the other McLaren M1B moved up past Bates into tenth overall. Further back, in 15th overall, Marco Werner went from winning the Masters Endurance Legends race to propping up the back in the other Ferrari ‘Daytona’.

Four laps into the race, Hart led Fletcher by 2.6 seconds, with Wright and Brooks quarrelling over third, nine ticks in arrears of the home favourite in the lead. Thomas, meanwhile, had moved up into a strong fifth overall, now leading Spiers, Stephan Joebstl’s Lola T212, Sheldon, McAlpine and new GT class leader Bates, as Van der Lof had dropped to 11th and found Thomas Matzelberger snapping at his heels in the Lola T210. Following the Austrian were Keith Ahlers in the third-placed pre-65 car, the Cooper Monaco ‘King Cobra’ shared with Billy Bellinger, and Charles Allison in the other Chevron B8.

With ten minutes gone, the field was into its rhythm, with no changes to report, except that Werner had gone missing in the 365 GTB/4 that was already giving him trouble in qualifying practice. And so the pit window quietly opened as the cars serenely completed their tours of the Zandvoort circuit. Ahlers and Van der Lof were the first ones in, handing over to Bellinger and Yelmer Buurman respectively, while at the front, Hart still maintained his slender lead over Fletcher. 12 seconds down the road, the two T70s swapped places yet again, now with Brooks leading Wright.

On lap 10, Hart pitted to be relieved by his quick son Olivier, allowing Fletcher to take the lead for the moment. At the same time, Joebstl handed the T212 to Andy Willis. Bates, Matzelberger and Spiers all joined them on the same lap, the latter two handing over to Ingo Strolz and Nigel Greensall respectively. McAlpine then rumbled into the pits on lap 11, along with Brooks, as Wright, Sheldon and Allison left it yet another lap before doing their mandatory stop. Finally, as Hart Jr in the 512M was registering purple sectors all over, Fletcher and Thomas took the last opportunity on lap 13, with Calum Lockie taking over from the latter.

Also in the pits, but in an unscheduled way, was Buurman, the Dutchman hampered by steering issues. This is in the process allowed Bates to run away with the Pescarolo class lead. And if that’s wasn’t all, Fletcher was back in too, and soon the Chevron B26 was seen plummeting down the order before its retirement was finally announced.

So after all the scheduled and unplanned stops were done, Hart Jr led Brooks by 18 seconds and Wright by another 7 ticks. Lockie was fourth overall in the little Chevron, with Greensall doing his customary low-flying work in the pre-65 McLaren. Willis was sixth, a minute and 22 seconds down on the leading Ferrari, but Sheldon and Bates in seventh and eighth were now a lap down. Strolz was next, with McAlpine, Allison and Bellinger not far away.

Now well into the final minutes, Hart’s lead continued to extend, as the 512M was lapping three to five seconds faster than its chasing T70s, much like it was back in time. Lockie was still fourth but well down on both Lolas, and saw Greensall approaching at a rate of two seconds per lap. Willis was half a minute in arrears of Greensall so lacked the prospect of moving further up the order.

At the chequered flag, Hart Jr’s margin had grown to 35 seconds over Brooks, with Wright another 23 seconds behind. Lockie did well to keep the little B8 on the lead lap, as Greensall’s McLaren was the first of the lapped cars.

Masters Sports Car Legends – Race 2
Fletcher and Brooks star in Masters Sports Car Legends thriller at Zandvoort.

Henry Fletcher and Steve Brooks turned the second Masters Sports Car Legends into a thriller that went right down to the wire, as the Chevron B26 and Lola T70 Mk3B were locked into battle until the final lap when Brooks slipped up to allow Fletcher to regain the lead he had lost after the stops.

“It was quite fun coming from the back, as I basically had nothing to lose”, said Fletcher. “The team told me to be fourth after two laps but I only made fifth… and then it was a case of hunting them all down. Steve got back past as his braking was better – this car has been in storage all that time. So I thought I put him under maximum pressure, I’ll hassle him everywhere! And he just went wide in one corner and I got past…”

“I had caught and passed Henry, with flat-spotted tyres from the start, so the wheel was shaking all over, and then on the final lap I tried to get hot in Turn 9, in the hope to shake him off, and I just got too hot”, said Brooks. “I just had to do the same thing, didn’t need to do that, as it’s so hard to pass here…”

The opening half of the race was led by David Hart’s Ferrari 512M before the Dutch-run car faltered with a puncture that could not be fixed, as the wheel remained stuck to its hub. Following the Ferrari’s demise, Fletcher took command, having stormed up from the back of the grid to be fifth by lap 2 before passing Brooks for second place on lap 6.

Jason Wright in the other Lola T70 Mk3B ran a safe third throughout but a time penalty for speeding in the pitlane dropped him down behind pre-65 Hulme class winners John Spiers/Nigel Greensall (McLaren M1B) and Bonnier class winners Julian Thomas/Calum Lockie (Chevron B8). In tenth overall, Mark Bates proved victorious in the Pescarolo class for GT cars.

“Chasing Calum and passing him, and got to do the fastest lap ever in the McLaren here”, said a delighted Greensall. “It was just magic on this fabulous track, helped by John making our race with that opening stint. As a team we keep on improving!”

As the clock approach four in the afternoon, the Masters Sports Car Legends were ready to go for their second 40-minute race of a glorious Historic Grand Prix weekend. Saturday’s winning Ferrari 512M was on pole, started by David Hart, with the Lola T70 Mk3Bs of Steve Brooks and Jason Wright along with the Julian Thomas/Calum Lockie Chevron B8 completing the first two rows on the starting grid. Next up were the John Spiers/Nigel Greensall McLaren M1B, Spiers starting as usual, and Stephan Joebstl/Andy Willis Lola T212 with the Austrian at the wheel. At the back, in the hope to recover from their Saturday mishap, were Henry Fletcher’s Chevron B26 and the Alexander van der Lof/Yelmer Buurman Ferrari 365 GTB/4 ‘Daytona’, with former European and British GT star taking the start instead of his father-in-law. The other Daytona would be a non-starter, however, Marco Werner unable to compete in a car that already proved troublesome the day before.

With Buurman immediately under investigation for a jump start – which soon resulted in a stop-and-go penalty – Hart powered off into a 2.5-second lead over Brooks in two laps. Wright was third, four seconds down on Brooks, but Fletcher was absoluty flying, the Chevron already up to fourth, having set fastest lap of the race on lap 2.

Another fastest lap followed on lap 3, as Fletcher got to within 1.5 seconds of Wright. At the front, Hart wasn’t pulling away from Brooks, as the first of the Lola T70s proved particularly quick in the back part of the circuit. On lap 4, Fletcher took third and now sought to undo his eight-second deficit to Brooks. Simultaneously, Buurman took his penalty, and as a result Richard McAlpine’s McLaren M1B, Billy Bellinger in the Cooper Monaco ‘King Cobra’ and Thomas Matzelberger in the Lola T210 all moved up a spot, while they still chased Thomas, Spiers, John Sheldon’s Chevron B16 and Buurman’s class rival Mark Bates in the Porsche 911 RSR.

As Hart got into his stride, his lead over Brooks now indeed began to increase, and on lap 6 the Dutchman was given an additional present when an error by Brooks allowed Fletcher up into second place, now 8.7 seconds behind. The Chevron B26 was still flying though, lapping well over a second quicker than the Ferrari 512M, with two minutes remaining before the pit window would open. Meanwhile, further back, Bellinger and McAlpine swapped places in their battle for second place in the pre-65 class.

Then, on lap 8, Hart was seen entering the pits, the Ferrari following a wayward route to its garage – and indeed, the 512M proved to have been hit by a puncture, allowing Fletcher into a four-second lead over Brooks. Simultaneously, the pit window had opened, and Joebstl, Bellinger and Matzelberger all came in to hand over to Willis, Ahlers and Ingo Stolz respectively. Bates was in next, followed on the next tour by Spiers, with Greensall waiting to take over. It was the leader’s turn on lap 11, with McAlpine and Buurman following him in, the latter handing over Alexander van der Lof. On the next lap, Brooks, Wright, Sheldon, Allison and Thomas were the last to make their stops while the Hart Ferrari was still in as the Dutch crew tried to fix the issue for some six minutes before finally giving up hope, as the wheel remained stuck on the hub.

After all the stops had unfolded, Fletcher was back to being the leader, but thanks to a better out lap, Brooks was within striking distance – and this time, the closed-top Lola was faster! By now, Wright trailed by 27 seconds, Lockie was in the B8 was 18 seconds behind the second Lola, and Greensall looked at bridging a 13-second gap to Lockie. Willis was sixth but 43 seconds in arrears of Greensall, while Ahlers, Sheldon and Bates ran in close company as Stolz was catching up with them, the Austrian lapping a second faster than the three cars further up the road. McAlpine was still third in the pre-65 class while Allison in the second B8 was 12th ahead of Van der Lof in the Ferrari Daytona.

On lap 16, the battle for the lead was truly hotting up, as a mere three tenths now covered Fletcher and Brooks, and true enough, the big Lola was through on the following tour to immediately open up an advantage of 1.6 seconds to the Chevron. Still, Fletcher wasn’t giving up, as on the next lap, the gap was back down to eight tenths. Behind Wright, meanwhile, Greensall was definitely reeling in Thomas, as the big McLaren was about to gobble up the minnow Chevron.

With less than five minutes remaining on the race clock, Fletcher now firmly had his sights set on regaining the lead that he had lost three laps before, with now just three tenths between the leaders. Jason Wright, though, was in trouble as he was slammed by a mighty 40-second time penalty for pitlane speeding to be applied at the end of the race. This meant that his third place was on the line, as Thomas and Greensall were following by 28 and 29 seconds respectively – on lap 19, that was, as on lap 20 their order had switched around.

A nailbiting finish was on the cards – and indeed, the decision came on the final lap when Brooks succumbed under Fletcher’s immense pressure, handing the Chevron B26 a hard-fought win. A despondent Brooks finished the lap 12 seconds down. Wright crossed the line in third but his time penalty meant that he lost two places to Greensall and Lockie. Willis came home sixth, with Bellinger, Strolz and Sheldon up next. In tenth overall, Mark Bates bagged the Pescarolo class win from the Buurman/Van der Lof Ferrari in 12th. Richard McAlpine was 11th and third in the Hulme class behind Spiers/Greensall, while Charles Allison took second in the Bonnier class as his Chevron B8 came home in 13th overall.